Saturday, February 25, 2006

Who is Less of Paige?

Hello Ladies,
First I want to say I'm so honored to be invited to be part of your community! I've read through some of the archives and recent posts and you are a wonderful community.

I'm 26 years old and already I have a pretty long "trying to lose weight" history. I've been using food for comfort and entertainment since I was in my preteens. These are not good habits to start. As I got older, the weight just piled on. As things got difficult in my life, it piled on more. Right when I graduated college I started working to lose weight, that was in 2001. I probably started then at about 185 and lost about 20 pounds. I felt great. Then I lost motivation. I left where I was- California- and moved home. I gained about 35 pounds, and when I started Weight Watchers for the first time I was 201.2. I did fantastic on WW the first time, but seeing as I have to add "the first time" clearly I've had my lows. I did WW the first time from Oct to about August, when I decided I wasn't going to pay people to tell me how much I had gained every week. I did it actively for about six months of that time and did great, lost about 30 pounds, and loved it. Then I lost my steam and started gaining. I took a "break" for about five months. I started WW for the second time and weighed about 203. I only did it for a few months and lost a whopping six pounds. I decided I needed something else.

Instead of finding something else, I took another break. From about March of '05 to Nov '05. I gained 20 pounds to weigh about 215. I was going through a few medical tests and saw a nutritionist. She recommended I try the "Diabetic Exchange" diet (more on that soon). I futzed with it and have really started it hard core in Jan of this year. I started weighing 221.5 and have lost ten pounds in about 8 weeks, overall. For me that's pretty good.

The Diabetic Exchange is a very structured way of eating. You get a certain amount of each "type" of food each day. I'm going to write it here so when you see me talk about it you can help hold me accountable! I get 7 starches (breads, carbs), and for the most part a starch is about 1 oz of bread or carb. 5 proteins (meat, cheese, peanut butter, and nuts) and again, 1 exchange is approximately 1 oz. I get 3 fat (oils, butters, etc) and 3 fruit. 1/2 cup of juice is one fruit. And 2 milk. The only things that count as milk are milk and plain yogurt.

I like this plan but still have a hard time some days. I love the high level of structure and the fact that I am forced to eat a very well balanced diet each day. What I struggle with is what to do when I mess up!! There are no "bank exchanges" in the Diabetic Exchange, so usually when I screw up in a day, weekend, or week, I give up that amount of time and start over the next day, weekend, or week. This is not a good way to make healthy eating choices and make this a lifestyle change.

I'm very committed to losing weight this time around. It's crucial to my health- if I don't, I'm at a very high risk for developing diabetes.

I'm well aware of how crucial support is to weight loss, which is why I couldn't be more excited to be part of this group! I hope you ladies feel free to hold me accountable, and I'm looking forward to encouraging, supporting, and getting to know everyone!!

So here's to eating it, moving it, and losing it!! I can't wait!

3 comments:

Kristina said...

Paige,
I'm so glad you've joined us. Thanks too for the history on yourself. It helps me to see where a person has been, so that I am perhaps better able to encourage them on their journey.
I'm looking forward to your posts.

-Kristina :)

Mom2the6Rs said...

Paige, you are going to rock here! Thanks for the honesty and the verbal snap shot. Welcome.

Jules

bodiski said...

Welcome to our Blog. Everyone has something to offer. Somedays' you may be the cheerleader and other days you may need some one to inspire you and cheer you on. That's what this is all about. We are all trying to impove our quality of life and we we all need lots of help. Looking forward to getting to know you.
Jodie