Wednesday, March 08, 2006

New Goal

One thing you guys don't know about me is that I am an absolute retirement-planning fool. I am all about tucking money away today so that I will have the option to retire when I want. Okay, maybe not when I want - otherwise you could throw me a party next week - but I want the ability to look up one day when I'm 52 and say "Okay, I've had a good run, see you in the funny papers."

One of the big concerns facing many retirees is outliving their savings. If you've planned on 20 years of retirement, you retire at age 65, but live to be 94 - well, you can see the problem. 9 years worth of problems to be exact.

(I swear this is getting back to a blog-related topic)

I was playing with MSN Money's Life Expectancy Calculator and found out that at the rate I'm going, I should plan on living to be 93. Sounds good, right? Well, they tell me that if I weighed 151, I'd get an extra 9 years! Think about what you could do with an extra 9 years: the grandbabies and great-grandbabies you could play with, the books you could read, the time you could spend with people you love. Count me in.

So I have a new goal: 151. I'll just have to save my pennies accordingly.

6 comments:

Mom2the6Rs said...

This is such an amazing thought process, Lisa. I know that my husband and I are very conscience about our savings and retirement. I took a death test last summer on a website and it did not have good news for me. At my current weight then, and with my current poor colesterol numbers, it said I would be dead by 79. I am hoping to improve those numbers significantly as we continue to put money away to support us as we age. It is something very, very important to think about and I know that many of my friends are not "there" yet. Good for you, Lisa.

Jules

Mom2the6Rs said...

I did the life expectancy thing. It said that if I maintained a weight of 133, I would live to be 100. Wouldn't that be amazing? I was even honest about my cholesterol. Wow. Thanks, Lisa.

Jules

SueAnne said...

Hey guys, I am going to live to be 99!
SueAnne

Kristina said...

Oh ya?! Well it said that I'm going to live to be 102. BUT, it also said that I needed to get down to 145 pounds. Well, I wanted to get down to 170 or so, hmmm.... When I get down to 170 that will already be an 85 pound loss. I don't know that I'll want to lose another 25.... MAYBE another 10. Anyways, it was kind of cool to see the stats.
Thanks for posting this Lisa. It 's good to have goals.

Kristina

Chickadeeva said...

Okay, I am supposed to live to 99 and my ideal weight is 133. Dang!
I have no idea what my cholesterol is, but I'll be right there with Julie!

Mom2the6Rs said...

We can be old and funny together, outdoing one another on our community service....

Jules