Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Happy but worried!


I am so happy that this is working. Seven weeks of dieting and I weighed in yesterday at Weight Watchers for a total loss of 11.2 pounds. I have been making good choices.

A huge challenge awaits me this coming week. Friday we leave for San Juan, Puerto Rico and Sunday we board our cruise ship.
If you have never been on a cruise there is food, food, food................... It's endless. I will be with 7 other family members so it's even harder to resist when every one else says "lets go get icecream" or "I know we just had dinner 2 hours ago but pizza sounds good" or "gee, both desserts sound good - yep, I think I'll try both" or "are you really going to have oatmeal when you could have eggs benedict with hash browns" or "OK, let's all meet back here at 11:30 so we can be the first in line for the midnight chocolate buffet" There will be good choices but it will be harder to make them. Would you eat a carrot stick when everyone else is having an ice cream cone? There will be a track to walk and an exercise room - which I intend to use frequently. Dancing will burn a few calories too.We also will be diving on 4 different days. Anyway, I will do my best but your prayers and tips would be helpful.

5 comments:

Chickadeeva said...

Maybe I'm insane, but its it at all possible to allow yourself ONE spoonful of ice cream?

ONE bite of chocolate mousse?

ONE swallow of eggs bene?

then continue on with your positive choices?

I ask because I have been able to maintain a good weight lately because I've been excercising regularly, minding my food and living a satisfying food life.

What I mean by satisfying food life is restraining my portions, allowing myself the joy of smelling a piece of pie and knowing I don't have to eat the whole thing, but ONE BITE? It seems to work for me.

Allow me to suggest this -
imagine that food, its sharing with others (communion), and its consumption (reward in the pleasure centers of the brain) is not food, but an act of love for others....Eating is such a social event.

Say you are at a meal with family, and this 'act of love' ("oh, you HAVE to try this SUNDAE!" they say,waving a spoon in front of you) - when this love is is offered to you, and you reject their 'love' it feels wrong on an emotional level.

Its possible to feel like you're missing out on more than just the dumb pleasure of ice cream - you know what ice cream tastes like, so what is it?

It feels as though there's something else....like you've broken some sort of unwritten social rule....You know, when everyone's having wine and someone declines there's that 'What, is there something wrong with drinking?' unspoken rule, as if the abstainer is judging.

Childish, but let's pretend...

If it isn't about the food, then can accepting the ONE bite be like saying, "I love you" back? Then move on with your carrot happily knowing you've statisfied the unwritten social code?

I'm crazy. I know...

Mom2the6Rs said...

That seems like very sound advice, Elicia. I guess, Mom, it is a matter of what you are shooting for. Decide before you even step on the boat what you will be happy with. Predetermine your (not WW's) definition of success. For instance, I will be happy with my self if I eat a sensible breakfast, a sensible lunch and then party for dinner. Or, maybe the days I dive, I will stick to all my points, the days I don't I will eat what I feel like eating at the time. Or maybe, on the even days, I will eat even "all" that, on the odd days, I won't.

Maybe that is all too complicated. Maybe you just need to say I will be a taster of all, but not a consumer of crap.

For what it's worth,
Jules

bodiski said...

WOW Elicia, You sound like some kind of Guru. I can totally understand what you are saying even though I could never have said it myself. You are so right about the social thing. It seems there is so much guilt related to just about everything we do. Guilt is such an ugly, negative word.

I will try and enjoy 1 bite but, of course, the hard part is stopping at 1.

Julie, I think you are right about deciding about what kind of success I want before I step foot on the ship. I have worked too hard to undo it all on a cruise.

Thanks you guys for your input.

Kristina said...

Have a wondeful time on your cruise! And when you are tempted to pig out with all of the wrong things, just say this to yourself three times: "eleven point two pounds, eleven point two pounds, eleven point two pounds!'

Kristina

Debbie said...

Hey, you can do it. A lady at my WW. meeting just came back from a cruise and she only gained .7lbs and she said she wasn't really trying. But good choices become a habit and I think that helped her unconciously. You'll do great! Bon Voyage
Deb