Tuesday, January 02, 2007


*Setting and Succeeding with Goals*

I know it sounds basic and silly, but there really are ways of setting goals for yourself set you up for success. Think of it like a recipe or a template for success. If you set goals in this way, you are more likely to accomplish them than not.

Read on and see if it makes sense to you...



1. Get a clear vision of your goal. Don't just say, "I want to lose some weight." but allow yourself a moment to imagine what you'd do then that you aren't doing now…Imagine what types of clothes you might wear with confidence…

What would I look like if I had the 'perfect' me?

2. Get real. How much of this ideal is do-able? Sure, I'd like to say I snowboard black diamond runs, but the truth is, I'm not fit enough to do it and probably never will be. If I give myself a goal that is out of hand, I'll have to have an out of hand way of tackling it. Am I really willing to dedicate that kind of time?

What does this ideal look like once I add a dash of reality?

3. Get started. Thinking about this stuff won't get it done. If you are trying to lose weight, get your meal plan together and shop. Then eat the food. If you are needing to pass a certification, then start studying, find a study group, get going!

4. Re-work your goal. You'll find stumbling blocks or things that work better than others. Sometimes your desires change. Check in with yourself periodically to make sure the goal is really a manifestation of what you thought you wanted.

5. Keep going. Studies show it can take as little as two weeks to get something engrained as a habit. You are literally RE-WIRING YOUR BRAIN as MIT studies show. http://web.mit.edu/newsoffice/1999/habit-0922.html

6. Reward yourself. Your brain will more easily be re-wired with the help of some lovely reward hormones (see above study).

So ladies, get them goals in mind. Not because its the new year...cuz I think resolutions are made to fail, but because it is a good thing to do - and a goal is like faith - "The substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen".

Elicia

1 comment:

Kristina said...

Good words Elicia!