Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Update

Hi ladies-
Sorry for the delay in the update department. I was crazy busy last week and on Friday I took off for Spokane and didn't have time to post. I did make time to weigh myself though. I lost 1.4 pounds for the week. That makes my total 8.2 pounds so far. I am pretty happy with that. I have to remind myself that it takes time to lose the weight. Sometimes I want instant results. Okay- My new workout routine is amazing and I am seeing results in just two weeks. The name of the program is The Power of Ten. I don't agree with everything this man says but he sure as a way of building muscle and doing it quickly. The whole concept is to lift weights slowly. Taking ten seconds to go up and ten seconds to come down. It is kind of like a Yoga weight workout. You really have to concentrate to do it. You want your muscles to burn out in about 6 to 8 repetitions. When they burn out you move on to your next exercise. The beauty of this program is you only lift 2 days a week. The author says that when you lift weights slowly you completely fatigue the muscle down to the core layers. You need a few days to recover from this. Working out more than twice a week doesn't give your body the time it needs to build new muscle and that has a detrimental effect to your success. He has an interesting view regarding aerobics but I personally love the weight lifting technique. I am lifting weights 2 times a week and doing the elliptical machine 3 days a week. I have new muscle definition in my triceps, shoulders and abs. My pants are getting loser and I managed to get myself into a pair of my "skinny" shorts. I still haven't gotten into THE skinny shorts but I am one step closer. My time in Spokane was difficult but I managed to stay on the program the whole time. Note to self and all others wanting to limit calories while on the road...... We went to McDonald for breakfast( I know, yuck!) on the way home. I decided to skip the egg McMuffin because I was sure it was way too fattening. I swung into Starbucks and picked up a pumpkin scone instead, congratulating myself for staying healthy. When I got home I checked online for the nutrition information regarding the scone so I could record it in my journal. The numbers worked out something like this.... Pumpkin scone 11 points Egg McMuffin 6 points. Yes it is true. I was so ticked off.
Live and learn I guess. Now that we are home I am glad to have a little more control over the food situation. I hope I can work off my scone before I weigh in on Friday!!

Have a good one!

3 comments:

Kristina said...

Aw, the dreaded Starbuck's scone! It's amazing what you'll find nutrition wise when you really start to pay attention.
But hey, you ARE losing. Maybe not as fast as you would like, but you are losing. And you made it into a pair of your skinny shorts girl. Good for you!
I went ahead and made you another ticker Jenny.

Kristina

Chickadeeva said...

Chuck Norris taught me that slow reps are more powerful for building strong and LEANER muscle with no bulk. (i watch an occasional infomercial)

I am relieved too because I don't have endurance for lots of sets.

More weight done slowly works!

kimiko said...

I am glad you found a workout program you like. It is important, I think you will stick with something longer when you like what you are doing. I hate the idea of actually exercising, but I love to dance so I bought a somba exercise video which is helping me to start to move. Congrats on your 8 1/2 pound loss!