Friday, June 09, 2006

Progress?


I had a crisp bean burrito from Taco Time today, and I didn't shake the crumbs out of the bag and eat them. Can I get a high-five?!

Yeah, yeah, I know that the deep fried stuff isn't the best choice. There was nothing very good in the house, and I was out and about, and I got hungry. I should reinstate an old rule of mine (that lasted about a week) "No More Eating In The Car!"

I was curious about the nutrition stats of the crisp bean burrito because in the past I've considered it a better choice than some other fast food options. Here's the bad news (but it is better than some other fast food options.):

  • 427 Calories
  • 18 grams of fat
  • 15 grams of protein
  • 9 grams of dietary fiber
  • 453 mg. of sodium
The worst item on Taco Time's menu is a large order of stuffed fries with 73 grams of fat and 990 calories! And that's just a side item. It has more calories than a whole meal should have.

The good news is when I was shopping I picked up a package of cookies to buy, glanced at the number of calories in a serving, knowing that if I took them home I'd likely eat THREE servings, and I put them back down. In fact, I put several items back down, including ice-cream, and came home with fat free cheese, light mayo, and pickles. See? The burrito may have actually been a good thing. I ate it before I went to the grocery store and probably saved myself 1,000 calories worth of snacking. (Shhh, I know it's a minor justification, but the deed is already done. Now I am just trying to look at the bright side.)

No comments: