Friday, June 02, 2006

Making Good Choices Eating Out!

Debbie's post beat me to the topic of eating out and the choices we are faced with. In our social world, full of Red Robins and birthday parties and lunch meetings, it is so important to have a strategy when going out to eat. I thought we could offer a regular "tip line" each Friday (someone help me remember!)

I recently had the pleasure of dining at Palisades, an amazing, gourmet, spendy, fresh seafood type of restaurant located in Magnolia on Elliot Bay. It is my Mother's favorite spot to celebrate and it is chock full of calories, let me tell you! We always try to participate in their sunset meal special. If you are seated before 6 PM, you can choose a three course meal (salad, main entree, and dessert) for $29.99.

Here was my strategy: I ate light the whole day, saving up precious calories, but not skipping any meals so I wouldn't be in starvation mode when I got there. Starvation mode can be deadly....it makes you want to eat everything in site in 5 seconds flat and makes you feel justified in doing so. Not a good plan.

I avoided the bread basket at all costs. This is just filler calories that you don't really need. That bread is cheating you out of the "real" food to come, ladies. Don't fall for it.

I ordered a diet coke and rum as a drink. Very delicious, very powerful, and yet not too scary on the calorie side. Very satisfying and very party mode feeling, if you know what I mean.

I enjoyed my salad as if it was the main meal, not being afraid to fill up on it.

I ordered the Prime Rib. It wasn't "encrusted", breaded, deep fried, battered, or treated in anyway that would add more calories to it. Pretty much a food in it's natural state. Dipped in a little a jus and horseradish...yum, yum, yum. It came with some garlic mashed potatoes that were divine and sinful all at the same time. I enjoyed them, each spoonful, and was happy to leave half of them on my plate, along with half of the prime rib, and I relived the glory of it all the next day for lunch. Oh, and there were grilled veggies, too. Superb!

Secret weapon for success: Jodie, my Yommy, was just talking with me about the natural tendency we all have of laying our fork down and taking a deep breath when we are satisfied with our meal. We all do this, but we might not all recognize it. Well, I tried to pay attention and I "caught" myself breathing and setting my fork down! Holy cow! What an amazing moment...At that point, I took her advice and realized that this was my body's natural sign that I was happy and content, and I chose not to push it further. And you know what? I was the only one who did not leave that restaurant feeling overstuffed and ready to explode! It was like my little secret victory.

Final strategy: When I was placing my order, I talked with the very accommodating waitress (remember, they all want a good tip and they are there to make your every wish come true, so don't be shy to demand the goods) and told her I was avoiding sugar. She suggested a bowl of berries and kiwi and yummy fruit for my dessert and I said "Perfect, and would you please add a bit of whipped cream to the top just for flair?" She smiled and when the desserts came out, everyone was like, "OOOHHH, what did you get? That looks so good!" I felt so smart!

Well...I hope this has been encouraging and helpful. Sorry it rambled on so long. Have a great weekend, ladies, and don't forget to treat yourself right! All of the good choices you are making are your way of giving yourself a little love.

Jules

3 comments:

Lisa said...

That was well written! My problem is not eating out though - I'm one of those people who socializes so much through the meal that I usually take almost all of my dinner home and leave hungry (oh yeah, and I have a couple of hang-ups about eating certain foods around other people...).

What I really need to work on is keeping my choices good when I am eating in!

Kristina said...

Excelllent choices my girl, excellent choices! Way to control the meal, and not have IT control YOU. It really can be easy to justify over eating on such an occasion.

Chickadeeva said...

What a great way to share this Julie - easy to read and a blow by blow (much like a reporter ;))

I am grateful I fill up quickly. I almost never overstuff myself. I like how you started with strategies before you got there instead of winging it!