Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Levels of Exertion


Are you in the "zone" when working out? When walking? When riding the bike? A good way to tell is the Borg Perceived level of exertion test. Here it is:

6 No exertion at all
7 Extremely light
8
9 Very light - (easy walking slowly at a comfortable pace)
10
11 Light
12
13 Somewhat hard (It is quite an effort; you feel tired but can continue, like when you are late for an appointment)
14
15 Hard (heavy)
16
17 Very hard (very strenuous, and you are very fatigued)
18
19 Extremely hard (You can not continue for long at this pace)
20 Maximal exertion

You should try to keep within the 13-15 zone. Pick a zone that you can maintain for at least 20 minutes. Work up to that zone for 5 minutes and cool down from it for another 5. Perhaps you can creep up to the 16-18 for the final 3 minutes of your 20 minute high level work out.

Here is a more light hearted version that will speak to most of us:

Level 1: I'm watching TV and eating bon bons
Level 2: I'm comfortable and could maintain this pace all day long
Level 3: I'm still comfortable, but am breathing a bit harder
Level 4: I'm sweating a little, but feel good and can carry on a conversation effortlessly
Level 5: I'm just above comfortable, am sweating more and can still talk easily
Level 6: I can still talk, but am slightly breathless
Level 7: I can still talk, but I don't really want to. I'm sweating like a pig
Level 8: I can grunt in response to your questions and can only keep this pace for a short time period.
Level 9: I am probably going to die.
Level 10: I am dead.

I found this cool article. It has lots of good advice that is down to Earth. Did you know that the more fit you are, the quicker you begin to sweat when working out? I thought it was the opposite! Those glistening skinny people are probably working out as hard as you, but they are fit and their bodies are trained to put them into cool off mood as soon as possible. Us unfit people, freak our bodies out when we start our workout. It takes our systems longer to relieve the heat.

1 comment:

Kristina said...

I read this article, and I thought it was VERY good.