Tuesday, January 31, 2006

I found this interesting...

So what is the problem? And what is the solution? Let us study God's Word for our answer: "20 Therefore, if you died with Christ from the basic principles of the world, why, as though living in the world, do you subject yourselves to regulations-- 21 Do not touch, do not taste, do not handle," 22 which all concern things which perish with the using--according to the commandments and doctrines of men? 23 These things indeed have an appearance of wisdom in self-imposed religion, false humility, and neglect of the body, but are of no value against the indulgence of the flesh" (Colossians 2:20-23).

Notice that "taste not" and "neglecting the body" have no value in restraining indulgence of the flesh. Today diet gurus could use all the big words they want, explain the body's chemical makeup, talk about metabolism rates, and explain "ketosis" in detail, but their counsel can be boiled down to "taste not, touch not." We want no part of that "man made and self imposed" religion (verse 23).
The above passage of Scripture reveals the real problem: indulgence of the flesh! If we think about it, we know this is true. What is it that makes me want to eat the entire gallon of ice cream? What makes me want to have a late night snack that turns into an all-you-can-eat buffet? The answer is, I want to indulge my flesh. My flesh cries out to be gratified and I, lacking self-control, indulge it. That is the problem. Food is not the problem.

So, understanding that the condition of being overweight comes from indulging the flesh, it is foolish to change the kinds of foods with which we indulge the flesh. If I forsake eating of all breads and only indulge with meat, what have I profited? My heart and lifestyle have not changed, and even though I might lose weight for a time it will surely come back on until I learn that the problem is that I have a habit of indulging my flesh, rather than just what kind of food I eat.

2 comments:

Chickadeeva said...

Wow, that is pretty profound. I can totally see where you're going with this. It sounds like you've hit a core issue!

I'll pray that God'll give you more self-restraint. Gosh, I'll pray we ALL Have more!

Mom2the6Rs said...

In America...land of the credit card and all you can eat buffets, we expect to have as much as we want, whenever we want, even if we can't afford it or we do not need it.

Jules