Saturday, April 29, 2006

Do the Math

SueAnne's post about not being obese got me thinking... There are so many "ideal weight calculators" out there that give such different results that sometimes it can seem impossible to determine which one to believe.

So I figured I would post the height/weight formula for the National Institutes of Health. It takes a calculator, but I think it's a pretty good measure.

1) Take your weight in pounds
2) Divide your weight by your height in inches
3) Divide by your height in inches again
4) Multiply that number by 704.5

That will give your index number. An index number between 20 and 25 is "normal." 25-29 indicates a "warning zone" - you're overweight but it is not a clear danger to your health. Over 29 is considered obese.

My goal weight will leave me at 21.7. What about you guys?

5 comments:

Chickadeeva said...

I am currently at 26. That's interesting. I'm not on a weight loss regime but I wonder if this number means I'm unhealthy?

Lisa said...

Elicia,

These are all just guidelines. And remember that 26 doesn't mean you are unhealthy, it's just a warning zone. As long as you are eating well and being careful about other aspects of your health (not smoking, etc.) there should be no reason why you can't be healthy at a 26.

Plus, the more muscle mass you have, the more this index will be skewed. (I would expect).

I'm betting that you're fine.

Chickadeeva said...

Ah, I'm a HUGE hunk of muscle. I mean, really. I have been toning up like crazy, and I'm sure I weigh more because of that.

Whew :-)

Kristina said...

Well, I'm 25 pounds away from breaking the obesity barrier. : ( I am currently at a 32.9. Even at my goal weight, I'll still be in the warning zone. That will put me at a 25. As long as I keep losing fat, and inches, and keep toning up my muscles, I don't think I should be too worried. I know that I am already far healthier than I have been in years.

Mom2the6Rs said...

I am at 32.2 right now...my goal will put me at 24. On my way.

Jules