Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Question

I haven't made it to the gym for the last week and a half. I'm eating well but I keep getting dizzy. I'm scared of fainting in a public place (I nearly hit the ground earlier in another lawyer's office) and I'm not sure I'm up to doing so on a treadmill at the Y. They're so helpful I'd wind up on an ambulance whether I wanted to be there or not.

What happens is I'll be getting up from a chair (not quickly) or standing for a few minutes and then I'll get all shaky and feel like I'm going to pass out. So far I've sat down - pretty much wherever I happen to be - and I'll be okay but still not feel very good for about the next half hour.

So my question is: has anyone else ever had something like this happen? My blood pressure has always been in the low but normal range and when I've taken it in the last week there hasn't been anything weird. Any ideas?

6 comments:

Bickler3 said...

Have you ever been checked for Hypoglycemia?? It's a problem with your blood sugar. There is also vertigo..which is a problem with your equalibrium..the women in my family have had problems with both.

Chickadeeva said...

I'm naturally dizzy, so I have this problem often. It is often a circulation problem as well, but it doesn't account for the shakyness. When this happens to me, sometimes everything looks dark and there are these white dots swirling around. It passes in a few seconds.

I suggest though, before you do pass out in court, or in the street as you cross it - that if you continue to have this prob you go to the Dr. You may have a food allergy or some sort of reaction that can easily be treated.

Kristina said...

Yes, I certainly do... go see the doctor! You don't want to take any chances honey. : )

Kristina

Mom2the6Rs said...

I felt dizzy during the first portion of my weight loss. It was from (in my opinion) cutting out the sugar and white flour, I think it was a withdrawl thingie. Have you thought about calling one of those nurse hotlines? It would be a way to get some professional feedback without going into a doctor. We have a nurse hotline connected to the hospital featured on our insurance.

Make sure you are eating at regular intervals and don't leave out the protein. Also, if you are eating too much fruit, the sugar in the fruit might be making you racing and shakey.

Oh, Lisa, I hope this thing resolves itself quickly. Are you drinking your water? You could be dehydrated. Watch your caffine intake.

Hope this helps,
Jules

SueAnne said...

I am with Jules. I would consider those possibilities...water intake, vertigo, time periods between meals, and protein intake-and go see the doctor!:)
SueAnne

Lisa said...

Okay, I checked with a doctor friend of mine (nevermind that she's a pediatrician, she assured me she can handle big people too) and her conclusion is that it's all from a couple factors:
(1) not enough protein through the day is making my blood sugar plummet. I am to start breaking up my meals and "grazing" on them to see if that makes me feel better;

(2) I'm getting sick. Antibiotics will be procured but it looks like I have an ear infection; and

(3) good old fashioned stress. I'm not sleeping or relaxing enough and spending the last month at (nearly-full) throttle is messing me up. I am to spend the weekend lolling around, no excuses.

If I'm not feeling better in a few days, she'll refer me to someone but what she says makes sense. I hope it will do the trick.

Thanks for all your suggestions guys! It's amazing how on the mark most of you were!