Tuesday, May 30, 2006

I Just Can't Hang Like I Used To

Well, for the 3-day weekend I headed out to party with my (rather large) family in beautiful Utopia, TX. We hung out at the ranch, splashed in the river, and basically had a good time enjoying each other's company.

But we ate. A lot. And now my body is in full-on revolt.

After three days of barbecue, catfish, lemon meringue pie, potato salad, chicken fried steak sandwiches, peach cobbler, and ice cream I have come to the conclusion that we are not meant to eat that much grease and sugar EVER! I got home from this trip and immediately ate vegetables and lots of them. The idea of something even remotely heavy makes me a little nauseous right now.

The scales, of course, went up by a whole 2 pounds. But I can get that off pretty easily. It just amazes me, though, how much my eating habits have changed since joining y'all. I guess I really have changed my lifestyle - to the point where indulging doesn't really work out all that well for me anymore.

I hope you all had a great weekend and a wonderful week to come.

Lisa

7 comments:

Kristina said...

Hey there pretty lady, don't let it get ya down. Family functions are REALLY hard. Just get back where you left off. This weight loss thing can really have a slippery slope at times. : )

Kristina

Lisa said...

Kristina,

The funny thing is that I DON'T feel bad about any of it. When I started this thing back in February, I said that I would make a bunch of little changes to lose weight but I would NOT deny myself things or go on a program that isn't sustainable in the long term.

There will be holidays, there will be parties, there will be times when I eat more than I should and indulge in rich foods. It's part of my deal that I get to do that, I just don't get to do it all the time. The tradeoff is that for all the non-special occasions I follow my little compromises. Milk in my coffee instead of cream. Bananas for breakfast instead of bagels. Good leftovers in the fridge at all times so that I won't eat out just because I don't have the energy to cook.

I'm actually a little pleased by this weekend. All of the bad-for-me foods left me feeling bad, so I think I'm less likely to overindulge next time. And even better, once I got home I went right back to my healthier habits.

Although it may have technically been backsliding, I feel pretty darn good about myself at the moment! :)

Chickadeeva said...

I had to laugh about the title.

You can't HANG anymore.

You won't let yourself HANG out of your t-shirts, your suits, the top of your jeans.

Not a bad thing after all :-)

Chickadeeva said...

By the way - your approach seems really balanced to me. I pretty much do the same thing...but I lived in France for many years, and learned the easy way that I can enjoy all things, not all at once, and not all the time.

Mom2the6Rs said...

Oh girl, a food hangover is what you experienced! Just chock it up as another of life's lessons and become wiser for it.

You are doing great.
Jules

Kristina said...

Lisa, I'm glad that you don't feel bad about all of the extra chow over the weekend. You know, I didn't really feel guilty for last weekend when I over ate too. I just look at the progress I've made, and can't help but feel good. Social events happen. Finding a balance is the key. An indulgence here and there for me is fine, I have resoved. It's living with, and being content with doing it with moderation. As a former junk food junkie, that is HUGE.

Kristina

Lisa said...

A food hangover! Jules, I love it!