Monday, September 25, 2006

Bringing on the Blues

I feel a little bad posting something like this when each of you is positively glowing in each of the Fall Frolic pictures (and video: you all seem a lot more "real" when the pictures move!) but I have a huge, massive, can't-move-around-it, smash me upside the head case of the blues.

I feel so stuck and it's showing in how I've been eating. For months I had a routine: on Sunday afternoons, I would slip on the iPod, pick my favorite playlist, and spend a couple hours dancing around the kitchen and fixing enough food to feed me every meal through the week. Cucumber salad and spinach salad; tuna with apples, balsamic vinegar, fresh basil, tomatoes, red onion, and pears; dijon-marinaded chicken; lots of fresh, sliced fruit in tupperware, easy and waiting for me to snack. I haven't been doing that lately and it shows.

I've been on practically a carb-only diet for the past few weeks and now I've started having cravings, just to let me know that my nutritional compass is out of whack. (Case in point: last night, I nearly bought out the butcher because even though I don't eat much meat to begin with, I have eaten practically no protein over the past few weeks and was absolutely rabid at the thought; consequently dinner was entirely meat and applesauce). I need to get back on track because I know that woman cannot live by rice and chocolate alone. And to top it off, one of my main food groups - fresh spinach - is now no longer an option. Insult? Injury? I'd like you two to meet.

I'm sure I've gained a pound or two but I'm too afraid to step on the scales. My skinny clothes still fit so at least I know that the damage is somewhat contained (i.e., it hasn't hit my butt yet) but I need something, I just don't know what.

I always get a little blue around this time of year, but this isn't just blue, it's blue and blah - a really bad combination. Y'all are so inspirational, though. Keep sharing the good things for each of you, and hopefully I'll snap out of this soon.

Congrats to each of you Fall Frolickers - you are all beautiful, amazing women...inside and out. From the pictures, it is clear your hard work is paying off.

2 comments:

Chickadeeva said...

Yeah, I hear you. I get this way too when everything just kinda seems...empty?

Ride it out...try not to give in to the world melting...and you'll be on the other side of this spectrum soon :-)

Mom2the6Rs said...

I read this yesterday, but didn't have time to comment. Sorry about that. From your post today, it looks like you are doing better than you thought. Give yourself some grace, girl, and chin up!

Jules