Friday, May 18, 2007

Oh, what a tangled web we weave, when we practice to self decieve.


RATIONALIZATION:

I had a small slice of apple pie for breakfast the other day. I rationalized it contained fruit and grains and if I added a dab of ice cream, I'd have dairy. I went to the freezer. --Jerrilyn Farmer

Never underestimate the power of Rationalization.

That is the evil little nuance that makes bad not so bad.
It causes a waver in the walk.
It causes 'Slumps' and losses in motivation because it degrades ever so gently the goals of our hearts.

Be Aware of it in your own life - with food, and other things.

3 comments:

Lisa said...

Best line about rationalization ever is from "The Big Chill":

Michael: I don't know anyone who could get through the day without two or three juicy rationalizations. They're more important than sex.
Sam Weber: Ah, come on. Nothing's more important than sex.
Michael: Oh yeah? Ever gone a week without a rationalization?

But yes, when you rationalize, often the only person you are trying to fool is yourself and that generally doesn't help.

~Jennifer said...

So true. I rationalize so very often. These 50,000 calorie margaritas are just fine because I just got back from a Salsa dancing lesson where I burned at least 100 calories. :-P

Mom2the6Rs said...

I was just brushing up on my Charlotte Mason homeschooling knowledge and she (an English woman in the 19th century) speaks about this issue with training children. She says in order to avoid having a child rationalizing his way into mischief or out of good behavior, the key is to train them one good habit at a time, until it becomes like a rut in the ground that a wagon would travel upon, a rut not easily moved from. Let's build one good habit at a time, like going for a glass of water instead of a diet coke, and stop ourselves from walking the path of rationalizations....

good one, E.

Jules