Thursday, June 07, 2007

To Get To Where I'm Going

I haven't driven since last Friday. Instead, I have walked.

I think it may be one of those "to see if I can actually do it" things, but I have refused to drive this week, instead using public transportation and - more frequently since I have an irrational fear of buses - heading out a pied. I have gone and done my weekly grocery shopping, made it to work, gone out to dinner with friends, gotten out to my favorite park, made my tennis game, and a bunch of other things. Note that I have not made it to the Y - I can't bring myself to go right now.

While my feet feel a little like they would like to fall off, I figure all of this walking is mitigating my refusal to work out. So until I can make it to the gym, I'm going to keep my ipod charged and keep up this walking campaign.

Yesterday, I conservatively estimate that I walked nearly 8 miles. Today it should only be about 5.

5 comments:

Kristina said...

Holy cow woman! Now that a "step" in the right direction. : )
Way to go Lisa!

Chickadeeva said...

Your 'wrestle those pounds to the ground' attitude is going to make you as trim as can be!

I have started walking about 3 miles 3x a week, but I actually found myself thinking, "Hmmm, how much further can I go with the baby?"

I think there is something innately spiritual about the act of walking. Sounds lame, but hey - The Buddah said something about the arrogant man rushing (running) and the wise man walking. Which is not to say Kris is arrogant, but that you are wise. :-)

~Jennifer said...

There is something spiritual about walking, and it's filled with life lessons.

For example, when I was walking with a couple of my teammates, because of the shape of the road, we were able to see quite far ahead, and I said, "Is that the hill we will be going up, WAY OVER THERE?!"

My initial impulse was to think that it was too far, it would take too long. I started to feel tired, but I reminded myself that we had done this walk before, and when I just put one foot in front of the other it's very doable, very enjoyable even.

It was a good life lesson that sometimes looking too far ahead instead of enjoying the journey can really mess ya up.

Walking is a true metaphor for life.

Melissa said...

Excellent! You know, back when people had to walk everywhere, they didn't have to work out!

Keep up the good (and environmentally friendly) work!

~Jennifer said...

You inspired me today, and I walked to the post office instead of driving. Of course, there is no gas in my tank, and payday isn't until tomorrow, but still.