Monday, June 25, 2007

Keeping my Cool & Making a Plan

I have gotten stuck, yet again, at 6-8 pounds heavier than I was last September. Muy frustrating. Yet I'm so anxious about everything else in my life right now that I feel like I'm perpetually only 5 minutes away from a small-scale panic attack - whether it be about my weight, my house, my job, my closet, my schedule, you name it. This doesn't happen to me. I'm not (usually) prone to panic. And I don't like it.

So here is my strategy, to solve all my problems in one fell swoop. I will wear myself out, physically. I always sleep best when at the end of the day I am just dog tired. I will do this by upping the walking I am doing, running when I feel like it, playing more tennis, kicking around the soccer ball when bored, and leaving work at work when I head out the door. I will stop when I am tired, and I will not cause injury to myself by overdoing anything. I will drink enough water so that I'm not so thirsty all the time, and I will calm down.

To that end, today's plan is: tennis (singles) tonight, at a park 2 miles from my house. The game starts at 7:30, so if I leave home at 7 I should make it to the park on time and have a half hour to listen to my new audiobook on my ipod and unwind from work. After we play, I will have another half-hour walk in which I can cool down after the game. If, after I get home and have dinner, I still feel wound up, I will take my neighbor up on her offer to join her in her nightly walk through the neighborhood.

Hopefully this will do the trick. I really hate being just a huge ball of stress because this really is not in my personality.

4 comments:

~Jennifer said...

I am accustomed to that 5 minutes away from panic feeling because that is part of my modus operandi when I'm depressed. I'm not feeling it now, but I do still tend to react badly to stress. You're right. It's not a good feeling.

Chickadeeva said...

What you listening to on Audiobook?

Lisa said...

At the moment, "Magical Thinking" by Augusten Burroughs (the "Running with Scissors" guy) but I also grabbed a bunch of episodes of This American Life from NPR and I have "The Memory Keeper's Daughter" waiting for me too. There's a queue.

SueAnne said...

Lisa,

A ball of stress and several hundred miles away, and you are still inspiring:) You go girl!
SueAnne