Thursday, June 21, 2007

I Need a Diet Coach


In the book I'm reading (The Beck Diet Solution) the next step of the program is to find a diet coach. It occurred to me that coaching each other is exactly what this blog was set up for so I'm wondering if you will all be my coaches.
Here is what the book says about my "meetings" with my coach:

"Ideally, schedule a regular time to talk (face-to-face if possible), at least once a week and then in between by phone or by e-mail on an as-needed basis--daily, if necessary.

During your scheduled weekly meetings, you should talk about:
  • Your change in weight during the past week. You don't have to state your actual weight, just how much the scale went up or down.
  • The successes you had during the past week. Use the to-do lists at the end of each day to report on what you've done. Mention anything else that you deserve credit for, so your diet coach can positively reinforce what you've done.
  • The struggles you had in the past weel. Talk about your cravings, slipups, or life stressors. Mention anything that might interfere with executing the steps of this program. Ask your coach to help you find ways to deal with setbacks and challenges in the future. Report your sabotaging thoughts and ask for help with how to respond to them."
The book goes on to outline other times I should initiate contact with my coach such as before entering a high-risk situation, like a party.


Right now I'm working, as per the program, on eating when sitting down only, eating slowly and mindfully, reading my advantages response card at least twice daily, and giving myself credit for all helpful dieting behaviors. (Good job me, for writing this post and asking for help!)

I'm finding that many of the behavior modifications and the diet preparations in the first week of this program are things that I've already dealt with. Like for today I'm supposed to work on preparing my environment for a diet. I did that a long time ago. If I had Doritos and Cheetos in my house I would not have lost 38 pounds so far!

So what do you say? Will you all be my coaches? I thought I'd step up my accountability here and report not only my successes, but my mistakes, and make Thursday my official day to check in.

Oh, and I updated my ticker today. I'm down 2.6 pounds this week! The book has really helped me refocus and I'm feeling more motivated again.

5 comments:

Lisa said...

I'd love to help you out in any way I can, but the face-to-face meetings aren't possible (Hi! From Texas!). If phone and email are okay and you'd like my help, let me know.

It seems like picking a coach would be a very personal thing with a lot of factors dependent on how the two of you mesh. While I'd like to help, I will totally understand if you want to go with someone else. Either way, this sounds like a pretty cool program you're on.

~Jennifer said...

I just figured I'd post here on the blog when I needed to and let all of you help collectively. It will help all of us because we can all learn from each other. It does say in the book that internet support groups are statistically as effective as face to face ones.

Lisa said...

Cool!

Chickadeeva said...

If you feel you need professional advice, don't forget we have a goals coach on staff here on the blog :-)

I'm not done w/ my certification but I'm free :-)

~Jennifer said...

Very cool! I didn't realize that you were a goals coach. What a neat thing to do!