Monday, June 25, 2007

Costco Cookie Conundrum


This weekend was marked by one bad decision after another, and I'm still feeling hungover from the sugar I ate yesterday. Oh, it could be the Benedryl I took last night. I'll bet that's it. Anyway, I missed my big training walk after being up all night with a sick child, felt bad about that, had 3 glasses of wine Saturday night, woke up feeling like doing nothing. Big surprise, huh? Then I met my walking teammates for lunch on Sunday, had soup and salad and water. (Yay me! Trying to remember to give myself credit.)

After lunch I stopped at Costco for a few groceries. I was at the front, almost had gotten to the checkout line, and I TURNED AROUND and headed for the bakery section. I didn't even bother rationalizing the cookies I bought, instead I just told myself I WANT ONE. I did tell myself I'd only have one. Ha! I didn't even keep track of how many I ate. Then I had nachos for dinner. I didn't drink enough water for the rest of the day either.

So what went wrong? I missed my training walk and did have negative thoughts like I'm not going to be ready for this walk. Next week's training walk is going to be really hard now. My husband brought home beer, which always leads me to ask, "Did you bring me some wine?" Well, he had, but he left it out in the car. He was trying to cover his bases. Cheeky devil. Do you see why I didn't ask him to be my diet coach? Ha!

After drinking wine, I always feel sort of out of it the next day. It's almost like I'm mildly depressed again. I think it must deplete serotonin or something. That's my theory anyway. So, at Costco I was tired and sort of out of it, and that led to the cookie purchase. After eating one cookie I think I had some version of the well, now I might as well just blow the whole day negative thought process going on.

Here I am on Monday trying to get back on track. I need a way to deal with fatigue and stress that doesn't lead to eating or drinking alcohol. And today I need a way to get motivated and back on track.

2 comments:

Melissa said...

I don't know why we tend to do these types of things - at my mother-in-law's this past weekend, we were putting up the leftovers from my sister-in-law's wedding, and I just kept mindlessly munching on the pigs-in-a-blanket and mini quiches!

Did I know better? Of course! Did that matter at that moment? Not really! Did I resolve to do better the next day? You betcha!

In the words of a song - we fall down, but we get up!

SueAnne said...

The war is not lost in one battle girl! You have been so faithful in your training. And remember, no matter how much you rehearse, it is ALWAYS different on game day. When your actual walk comes, you will have a different spirit, adrenaline, and resolve. You an do it! And... I have tasted a few of those Costco cookies myself lately....yummmm. Shake it off:)
SueAnne