Monday, September 24, 2007

I Blame Kristina...

...for not reminding me how addictive running can be.

I remember a short month ago, when everyone (not just people on this blog) thought I was maybe a little more than the usual degree of crazy for paying money for a running class when I hated to run. Well, I'm in week 5 now, my form is much better, I'm regularly running 3-4 miles a day, I'm enjoying it more, and I feel at loose ends if I go an evening without a run in order to meet the "recovery" schedule mandated by my coach. And even then, I sometimes cheat and run anyway.

Anyway, our goal race to finish out the class is on 10/6 but I'm going to run the State Fair 5K this weekend so I can have a benchmark on my time. I've already decided to sign up for the next round of classes to run the Turkey Trot on Thanksgiving. Now the only question is, am I going to train for the 5K or the 8 mile version that leads into the Half Marathon class? I'm thinking 5K but we'll have to see.

I also can't wait for the weather to drop out of the 90s and some of this humidity to clear off. We had one (1) single day of fall a few weeks ago just to torture me, but I can't wait to run when it's not so hot and sticky.

In other news, I haven't lost a speck of weight with all of this running. I have been training and lifting weights, and generally being good, however, so I think that the muscle gain is offsetting the fat loss at the moment since I've actually gained a couple pounds in the meantime but my clothes are fitting like I weigh a little less. I'm trying to be patient, but I'd like the scales to catch up with me soon so that I can have some idea of how I'm doing.

I'm going to meet my goal for this first running class very soon (run 30 minutes/2.8 miles without stopping) so I need to think of my goal for the next set of classes. Suggestions welcome.

Otherwise, I hope everyone has a great week!

Lisa

4 comments:

~Jennifer said...

Wow! Way to go!

That's impressive, to go from hating running to doing so well. I guess deep down you knew yourself well enough to know it was something you could come to enjoy. Good job on listening to your own voice!

Chickadeeva said...

I echo Jennifer - you did know this was going to be cool and just needed Kris to remind you of the fun you knew you had coming to you!

Good for you for pushing yourself to be happier! You are making choices towards things that will PAY OFF in positive ways. You are pushing yourself a little further than you have before...

I admire you. I really DO not like running and can't imagine that I would but, I can sit on the back of an animal while IT runs!

Kristina said...

Lisa, you knew all along that you would end up liking it. It's just a matter of getting it started, isn't it? Because in the beginning, it IS really hard.
Good job girlie. I tell you what. You wouldn't catch me running in that kind of heat!

Mom2the6Rs said...

You should blame her...she is infectious! Wonderfully infectious! Proud of you, Lisa.

Jules