Sunday, July 29, 2007

Tape v. Scale


I spent a couple of days in anguish over scale fluctuations. I even wrote about it on my blog. Several readers commented that perhaps I am getting scale obsessed and need a different gauge to assess my weight loss.

I have been charting out my body measurements since about early June and today I took a good look at it and here is what I found:

(in April I measured my hips as somewhere around 57 inches, the bust was the same and the waist was about 53 - I didn't measure anything else at that point.)

Neck 15 ---> 14 inches
Bicep 12.50 --->11.50
Forearm 10.25 ----> 9.5
Chest 50 ----> 45.10
Waist 47 ---> 41.5
Hip 53 ----> 43.8
Thigh 22 -----> 20.25
Calf 16-----> 15.5
Now I am not so worried about my scale. What with water weight changes, increasing my muscle mass, etc., I am glad that there is more than one method of tracking body changes.

4 comments:

Chickadeeva said...

Jan, I think it is so important to stay realistic and have orthodox (right thinking) beliefs when attempting to lose weight.

Not leaning on numbers on the scale is one way to stay realistic. Your tape is the 'true' measurement of what fat loss you're really experiencing, and the one professionals use to document the big changes in fitness.

Its hard to face the numbers on the tape - and its easier to step on a scale and 'win' or 'lose' daily, but I am confident that reviewing your numbers on the tape is going to help you keep from stressing out.

You are looking great by the way!

Kris said...

You are doing great!! I agree with chickadeeva. Your body will go through natural plateaus and if you stay on the path it will pass.

Stay strong and focused.

Kristina said...

Wow Jan! Look at the difference with the inches already. The scale is not always the best way to check your progress. I know that to be true for myself. As long as I keep tightening up all of my "left overs" from having four babies, I am happy.
You just keep going strong, girl. You are doing an excellent job!

Mom2the6Rs said...

Good for you, Jan! Inches definately matter! I believe in you!

Jules