Thursday, February 01, 2007

Week One Report

Well, I just finished seven straight days in which I walked on the treadmill for 30 minutes each day. I haven't had that long of an exercise streak in a long time, so that's progress for me. Not only that, but for the last couple of days I've felt in control of my eating. I know that in a moment that control can slip, and if or when it does I'm going to try really hard to move on and stick with my program.

I had a great lunch today, and it was really satisfying. I had white chicken chili leftover from dinner last night. After that I had blueberries with a little vanilla yogurt sprinkled with chopped walnuts. Yum! I got the chili recipe at MealsMatter.org

I'm also making a point of taking my vitamins along with a B-complex. The B vitamins really make a difference for me. I don't know why I always stop taking them. It's the all-or-nothing girl in me. If I forget for a couple of days I tend to say, "Oh, forget it!"

I'm tempted to pull out the scale and weigh myself, but I promised myself I'd wait until March. If I did weigh myself and I hadn't lost weight I know I'd be disappointed, but really, after only one week it wouldn't be unusual for my weight to have not changed, so I'm not even going there. I don't want that disappointment to be an excuse to give up.

If I were going to give up, Tuesday would have been the day. I had had a bad day on Monday and woke up exhausted on Tuesday. Normally I would have used that as an excuse to just lie around and eat whatever I wanted in the name of "being good to myself", but this 3-Day Walk has really given me a reason to keep going!

3 comments:

Amy Witt said...

Keep it up Jennifer!! You are doing so great. I am going to check out that Chili reciepe. Yum!!

Chickadeeva said...

Jennifer - I think I mentioned my girlfriend Debbie did this walk last year. It is a VERY PHYSICAL experience, and whatever working out you can do NOW will totally benefit you LATER!

She regretted she didn't train more. She also had really bad blisters, so think about toughening up your feet :-)

~Jennifer said...

Yes, I'm planning to use the suggested training schedule at the3day.org. It's a 24 week schedule that starts with 3 miles at a time and works up from there. Since I'm not even up to three miles I'm walking 30 minutes a day for now. By the time I'm at the 24 week mark I'll be able to do the schedule.

That's my plan anyway.

The main reason I signed up is I wanted to give myself a reason to really workout. I want to be in the best shape of my life when this is over, and if it goes well I plan to sign up for next year's walk too!