Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Well...

I did it. I'm in the running class and the first one was last night. I have committed to 6 weeks of running and coaching so hopefully I can learn to love it.

Last night we did time trials - 20 minutes at a "humble" pace to see how far you go and then they'll use that information to determine which coaching group you'll be with. I feel like I finished slightly ahead of the middle of the pack but learned that my running style is a lot different.

While most people take short quick strides (like you're supposed to), I love the longer strides and just letting loose and enjoying the moment. So therefore I would RUN a lap, walk a quarter of a lap, run the rest of the lap, and then RUN again. What makes this amusing to me is that a few weeks ago I won a Prince t-shirt in a tennis tourney which proclaims that I (and their new racket line) am "Engineered for Speed." How on earth did they know? :)

Anyway, the next class is Thursday and we have to have our written goals for the class and in general ready for our coaches by then. I'm working on it. I really do hope that I learn to enjoy running more through this class, although I know that I already love to RUN!

With my laces tied,
Lisa

P.S. The best part of the class: when our herd of runners almost - but didn't - trample the Dallas Mavs players who were on the track. Dusting professional athletes makes you feel oddly good about yourself. Who knew?

2 comments:

Chickadeeva said...

Ha!

Yes, I'm not surprised you've found a new love. You "knew" you'd love it didn't you??? :-)

Way to go!

Keep on dustin!

Kristina said...

Lisa, you just crack me up! You talk about how you HATE running in a prior post. And you are pretty adamant about it. And then you sign up for a running class anyhow. I think secretly that YOU are the marathon runner, girlfriend!