Monday, August 27, 2007

Weekend Redux: Hi Elicia!

Okay, Elicia, I still haven't made a decision. The running class starts tomorrow evening so I have until then to decide whether I'm going to take it, but things have been so hectic this last week that I haven't gotten the chance to sit down and make up my mind.

First of all, I interviewed with a firm in my hometown (Austin) last Friday (took a 3-day weekend!) and I think I hit the interview out of the park. Unfortunately, I can't take the job. It's doing work that is "beneath" what I'm doing now, and lawyers are such snobs that if I took it, I'd never get the opportunity to do any other work than that since it's pretty low on the litigation totem pole. Yes, I'd be trying a ton of cases, but they'd be mostly car wrecks and slip and falls. Plus they'd pay me a lot less money for the privilege of taking a big step down in the type of work I do. Oh well, I'll just keep looking.

But that leads to what I did with my weekend: I ate. My father is an excellent cook and, in his retirement, has become a bonafide foodie. This weekend I ate Moroccan chicken, tomato basil soup, queso, strawberries and scones, meatloaf, hatch chile stew, and Tex-Mex (twice!). To say that I forgot to keep track of my calories is misleading - I refused to do so after Mom and I ate the mexican omelets Friday mornings and could tell it would be going downhill from there. I did, however, make it out to play tennis for a little bit on Saturday so it wasn't a total waste.

I've got to go down there again next weekend so hopefully I will have all of the hometown misbehaving out of my system. All the same, maybe I should take that running class after all...

At this point I'm scared to step on the scales. Again. But I'll let you ladies know what it says once I finally do.

Love,
Lisa

P.S. Jules - you've been in my prayers. Has the urge to overeat calmed down any?

4 comments:

Mom2the6Rs said...

Yes, I am doing better. It really was just a two day thing. Emotional family turmoil mixed with hormones, I suppose. It is nice to know I have you all to call on for help.

Jules

Chickadeeva said...

I guess it is good practice for you to interview, but you are right about being VERY careful of what role you take. I know about that in my professional career - and have even caught myself doing it (you were an admin??)

I noticed I ate a lot this weekend, I wonder if it was in the air :-) - that full moon....

Lisa said...

Elicia:

I've never been an admin, but I think it's the same no matter what job you have. I didn't know much about this office of the firm I was interviewing with before I met with the partner on Friday. It wasn't supposed to be just practice, it just became that way once I found out more about them and realized that the job wasn't for me. Because it's not a particularly good job, AND it's going to make it impossible for me to get a better one down the line.

I think I'm going to try to get up early tomorrow morning to see the lunar eclipse. 04:52 a.m. CDT. If I'm going to gain weight, I ought to at least see what's causing it (because no, it couldn't be my lack of discipline, could it?) :)

Lisa

Chickadeeva said...

I think it is misplaced discipline, but its a cool thing to do nonetheless! :-)