Saturday, August 11, 2007

Healthy lunch update

Thanks so much to all of you who offered suggestions for healthy lunches for my 5-year-old. She started school this past week, so I had my first opportunity to try some out.


She kept coming home with just a little of her lunch eaten, and I asked her why. Seems she's sharing Doritos with a girl in her class! Now, Anna Marie loves Doritos so much that she'll eat them first and foremost, no matter what else is put in front of her.

I did convince her to eat most of her own food first before sharing the chips. And, she insists that the chips are offered to her, she's not asking for them!

Well, Thursday night I asked her what color the bag was the chips came in. At our house, we never buy any chips that aren't baked - Anna Marie has had the original Doritos maybe a handful of times in her life, and always at somewhere other than home. She said, "It's yellow, like it's supposed to be." Big sigh from me! And then:

"Did you think they weren't baked?"

Egads! She's on to me!

The school has snack time in the afteroon, and I have to send a snack for her. Thankfully, they emphasize healthy foods - they won't have any argument from me!

Oh, and an update on my weight, which really isn't an update at all - I'm stuck at 159 for about the fifth week in a row. I even basically took last week off, because it was my birthday and the first day of school and an election I had to work until midnight to cover, and I still maintained!

Back to basics this week!

1 comment:

Mom2the6Rs said...

So funny, Melissa, about the baked chip comment! They are sharp, aren't they??? I have had my kids correct my choices by saying things like, "Mom, are you sure you can have that? I mean it is full of sugar, right. You are not eating that stuff. Remember?"

Glad to see you posting here again, too. About the weight thing, I have been maintaining the same weight for about 6 months now...I know how it can be frustrating to not move on. But I am happy to learn the skills of maintainence and I think it might be good for my body to hang out here for awhile. Losing 70 lbs. is quite an adjustment to the bones, muscles and general make up of who I am.

Jules