Monday, August 13, 2007

Stranded in Alaska


That's right. I'm writing to you from the airport in Anchorage. Why? Because a series of cancellations created a mess and we're stuck in the middle of it. My kids are crashed out on a set of those airport benches with several seats all in a row. My husband, while not sleeping, is laying down next to me. I'm watching the travelers and thanking God for free internet, but I am not able to sleep. Its way too late, way too uncomfortable (did I mention I'm having a flipping fibromyalgia flare?) way too florescent, way too airporty for successful snoozing.

However - the past 10 days have been amazing. If you've ever been to Alaska, you know what I'm talking about. Its like walking through a primeval land; with unspoiled vistas, sharp and craggy mountains and sunlight until 11 pm. I was taught by a small child what berries and plants to eat (should I ever be in need of food while here). I picked up a little book about the local berries just to make sure I was eating the right ones :-)

We went fishing in the Little Su river, rode horses through high grassy trails peppered with horse-high raspberries (which I snagged and ate) and my husband golfed four times in 10 days.

I'd never caught a river fish before. The two I managed to reel in were good 8 to 10 pounds of floppy, shimmery flesh. I'm looking forward to eating them. There's just something about eating food you catch yourself that just feels right.

Thanks for killing a few minutes with me. When I get home I'll step on a scale and see what we have accomplished the past week. I do believe that I stayed on track and probably lost rather than gained, although I sure want to pig out on those sweet rolls my hubby bought us to 'tide' us over. *(YUCK)

3 comments:

~Jennifer said...

Oh, I hope you've made it home by the time you read this! I could never sleep in an airport either.

What a terrific picture! And all those fish! Sounds like an incredible vacation. I've never been to Alaska. Where were you staying?

Kristina said...

What a fun shot! It sounds like a fabulous place to go vacationing... I've never been.

We've you you girl!

Love you,

Kristina

Lisa said...

Yum, salmon!

I hope you had a great time on vacation and I'm sorry you're stuck in the airport. Great people-watching though, I'm sure. In the meantime, I'm going to live vicariously through you since I (1) probably won't get a vacation this year, and (2) haven't been to Alaska either. Glad you're back!