Thursday, August 16, 2007

A Matter of Opinion

Okay, ladies, I need your opinions and the benefits of your collective experiences.

First of all, a confession: I HATE running. I like breaking into a run when I'm happy, I love sprinting around a tennis court, I like tearing across a soccer field. I HATE trying to run consistently. Now for the kicker: I like the idea of running just to run and cover distance.

I think that I must be doing something wrong because while I can run no problem in my sports of choice (essentially intervals), I can't run constantly without feeling like I'm torturing myself. I'm thinking that maybe a class might help? But then again, I'm not sure I can ever learn to love running.

One of the local running shops offers 6 week classes for beginning runners, on a track, essentially starting as a walk-run class and building up to a 5K. While I can run a 5K now, I don't like it much. So this would be like starting all over again to see if I can't "relearn" to run in a way that hopefully I enjoy more.
So, 6 weeks, 2 days a week, $90, and a 5K at the end... should I bother? Has anyone done anything like this before and did it help? We would be running in the heat of August and September too - should I wait for a later class when it cools down? I'm willing to listen to all opinions. What do y'all think? Good idea or likely a waste of time and money?

5 comments:

Kristina said...

Lisa, you are funny. I would certainly NOT pay to take a class to do something that you clearly HATE to do. Not everyone enjoys running. There are sooooo many ways to get excersize. And you already are, being on a tennis team, plus you walk...
I don't know, maybe I'm weird, but I really do enjoy running now. I never saw myself as a distance runner, especially as an adult. But I love how I feel when I'm done. Even half of the time I like how it feels WHILE I'm running. I can't explain it, It's like I take myself to a higher place when I really push myself.
But back to you, I would continue to get your excersize in things that you enjoy, tennis, soccer, etc...

~Jennifer said...

I'm with Kristina. I wouldn't bother pursuing an activity that I dislike. So, are there other activities you have always wanted to try, but haven't yet? Maybe we could brainstorm some. Here are a few I've thought about:

roller blading
rowing (watch "The River Wild" for inspiration.)
hiking
dancing
long distance walking :-)
biking
swimming
pogo sticking. Ha!

Chickadeeva said...

Here Here - I think it is awesome that you're willing to PAY money to try to gain a new taste. Its possible that you would just be the right type to Learn To Love to Run. Are you?

I am NOT. I think that if I don't like spinach, I won't like it baked, boiled, fried or breaded. Just don't like it - won't like it - won't go to a fancy restaurant to have it cooked special so that MAYBE, just MAYBE I won't hate it.

If you want to cover ground, consider biking. Its easier on your knees, doubles as a possible transportation item (can even be used in conjunction w/ a bus) and you can join a pack of bikers who spur each other on.

Either way - let us know what you decide. I am always happily jolted into action myself when I hear of someone else giving life a new spin.

I vote for taking a dance class. You can get your heart rate up and release some frustrations (*ahem) in a fun and safe environment.

Lisa said...

I probably should have added this: I have dreams about running. And in these dreams, I love it, it makes me happy, and when I wake up, I feel like I really love to run and run over long distances. And then I go do it and the execution just never works out like I want it to.

As for other classes & leagues, I've done racquetball, kickball, yoga, and yes, even dance. The dance class didn't work out so well (I would up being asked to leave the class and received a very nervous apology from the school for the instructor's behaviour once they learned what, exactly, I do for a living). I've been toying with the idea of bicycling to and from work since it's only about 5 miles and I've been bike shopping, but I've had 3 knee surgeries and something about bicycling sometimes causes my knee to swell up to the size of a softball. I think I may take that plunge, though.

But something still makes me think that just maybe I ought to take a running class. Because maybe I could love it, even though I may not now.

This is going to require some more thought.

Chickadeeva said...

I say do it.

Dreams are sometimes there to noodle us and sometimes they are bad pasta. It sounds to me like you WANT to take the class Lisa. :-)

About your knees, running isn't the gentlest exercise either. I wonder if you won't have issues with them as well?

You may also want to spend some time considering what the feelings you're experiencing in your dream are and if they are a deeper truth you're questing after.

My point here is, the two are indeed connected (the dream and desire) so its your call about how literal (taking the dream into a real experience of running vast distances) you need to make it.