Tuesday, November 14, 2006

An Article, a Little Love, and a Confession

I came across this article today and it made me feel so sad for those people...that is until I realized that I'm pretty much the same way.

In college, I worked out at the rec center but invariably there would be at least one person who made me feel like an absolute cow. (It was usually the girl who was a size 0 and would run (not jog, really run) for an hour straight and then go home to no doubt binge and purge). When I moved to Dallas, however, and started law school, I never used the rec center on campus. Instead I decided to shell out the money (and it isn't particularly cheap) for the YMCA and boy am I ever glad I did.

There is such a diverse group of people who work out at the Y that it makes it easier to forget about any issues I may have and not to compare myself to others. There will be someone there skinnier than me, but I will be younger than them. Or able to run farther. Or be able to just realize that it doesn't really matter all together.

It makes me sad to think that some people are cheating themselves out of their health because the only people they see around them are young and skinny. But that there are people like that make all of us seem more brave. Great job ladies, having courage, overcoming hesitation, and continuing to fight the good fight - even though it may only involve a treadmill. I am so proud of you all.

Love,
Lisa

P.S. Today was my law firm's Thanksgiving lunch. Let's just say that I could have done a much better job of behaving myself. So I guess it's back to the gym.

2 comments:

Kristina said...

That was a pretty good article. And I know how many of those people spoken of felt. That is part of the reason that I joined Curves... it was a "safe" place. Especially when I was much larger. Now I feel fine going to the Y. Can't wait to get that membership next month. : )
You know, the thing is,there will ALWAYS be someone skinnier, prettier, more athletic... We need to do what they suggest, and just compare ourselves, to ourselves. When I'm working out, I like to challenge MYSELF by how many extra minutes I can push myself to do of cardio, how many more stairs I can climb versus the last time, etc... I like competing with myself, I am driven by numbers.
Anyhow, this was a great post Lisa. Thankyou!

Kristina

Mom2the6Rs said...

Good article, Lisa. Thanks. I know I still feel "stupid" on some of the machines at the Y, mostly because I am just so unfamiliar with them. I also think that if someone REALLY wants it, they will recognize that fear of embarrassment is just another excuse keeping them from their goal. There was a woman at the Y last week on the eliptical that must have weighed 450. I felt so proud of her for doing what she could and having the attitude that nothing was going to stop her. Inspiring.

Jules