Sunday, November 18, 2007

More on Stress Eating and Sleep

Oh yeah, I'm stuck in a little stress eating cycle myself. My sleep cycle is all out of whack again. (That happens to me SO easily.) When I don't sleep I get very sluggish and I eat a lot more, don't we all?

I have to get my sleep back on track. I think I have just enough pills left from my last long lasting bout of insomnia to get me back on track. They aren't exactly sleeping pills, they're actually antidepressants (amitriptyline) that have the beneficial side effect of causing drowsiness. They also have the side effect of causing extreme weight gain, but I always lose weight when I take them because just getting a good night's sleep after struggling to do so makes me feel so much better.

Before I start taking the pills I'm going to try really hard to set my alarm and get out of bed by 8 A.M., even if I didn't sleep a wink all night. Eventually I have to sleep, right? I'm going to keep exercising. I haven't been walking, but I've been playing DDR (Dance Dance Revolution) with my kids. I make them give me a whole half hour before they start saying, "Can I have a turn now?" It's a whole lot more fun than walking on a treadmill and I think maybe an even better workout. Sometimes I hold 5 pound hand weights while I "dance".

If that doesn't get me back on track I'm going to take my little green sleepy pills for a month.

Thankfully, my weight has held steady months, but I would like to start moving toward my goal weight again even though I feel pretty good about myself just the way I am. Another 40 pounds gone would be pretty awesome.

3 comments:

Chickadeeva said...

Hey - I love Dance Dance Revelation!

Come over to my house and have a DANCE OFF!

That game really gets you moving :-)

Jennifer said...

Cool!
That would be fun!

Kristina said...

It's so true, when I'm over tired, I eat too much too. Not only do I eat more, but my choices aren't so "choice". Why do we do this? Hmmm....
I need to get back on the weight loss train, I've not made it to my goal yet, in fact I'm sure I've gained a couple of pounds. I've not been sleeping well this week either, I've had a lot on my mind. I'm still working out, which has been my saving grace.