Thursday, November 08, 2007

Bringing Back Fresh


A friend looked in my refrigerator during a lean season in our financial year and commented that it looked just like it did when we were college age. Bare, with random yogurts and condiments. True, we were between costco runs, but I've never been one to stock the fridge.

Ok, I eat like a bird. I get it. I don't care much about food. I don't like to cook all that much. I'm not a foodie.

Responsible parenting includes teaching children good food attitudes. This is hard for me because I could care less about food. However, I have pushed myself to keep one week of fresh veggies/fruits at a time until we consume them, then buy more - making trips to the produce stand more frequent.

Yet, even with my best efforts, the fruits eventually get flies. The broccoli molds. The corn goes unboiled. Wasted time, nutrition and money show up in my pathetic fridge. Is this what I want to teach my kids - "Buying the good food is enough, you don't have to eat it."

I saw an ad for Debbie Meyer's GreenBags promising to keep my fruits and veggies for a ridiculously long time by absorbing the gases the ripening fruit put off. I went ahead and paid the $20.00 thinking I waste at least that on veggies per month, so why not try?

THEY WORK.

Now this is what my fridge looks like:

5 comments:

Lisa said...

Once upon a time, thanks to several semesters of organic and biochemistry (and the botany TA I daed), I could have told you specifically why they work. But with *most* fruits and veggies, they do.

(Although it's best if you don't put any other fruits in with overripe apples because the tannins given off by the apples act as a maturation hormone with a lot of other fruits and veggies. This is the only part of what I learned that stuck.)

Lisa said...

(Oh, and that tannins are in oak trees and are what make Greek red wines a definitely acquired taste).

Jennifer said...

Wow, good to know! I'm gonna have to try those.

Anonymous said...

I have the same mentality with my fridge and kids. I always think I am the only one who thinks like this. Come to think of it, I have mold veggies I need to throw out before my daughter get home. I am going to buy the bag.DAP

Melissa said...

I'm so glad to hear your testimonial - the prospect of veggies going bad is the very thing that limits my fresh produce buying!