Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Committed

As I look at the title of this post, I think it may be a toss-up as to whether I am (to a healthy lifestyle) or whether I should be (as a result of some of the things I'm agreeing to as part of this lifestyle).

I started running in late August to see if I could learn to like it and got hooked. That led to my first 5K in a long while, which is leading to the distance (8M) Turkey Trot on Thanksgiving, which has now somehow landed me racing 6 miles in the uphill portion of the local marathon relays in early December. I am feeling a little overwhelmed by my commitments at the moment, and wish people would stop asking me if I would like to sign up for such-and-such when I am obviously high on endorphins and thus not thinking rationally.

Nevertheless, I have had some good milestones lately. Our first 9 mile long run was last Sunday and I came through with absolutely flying colors. I can really feel the difference these runs are making on my endurance. Second, I have been paying extra attention to dietary concerns, having met with a nutritionist last week and discussed the fact that I am having a hard time getting adequate protein into my diet. (The last year or so I have practically been a vegetarian - not by choice or anything, it's just that I don't eat much meat by preference). She gave me some good strategies for balancing out what I eat that I'm trying to implement. I still need to work on getting the water I need, but since that has been my ongoing battle from the start it's not like this is anything new.

Otherwise, I've lost a couple pounds but nothing too exciting. I'm just hanging on, trying to live up to my commitments.

4 comments:

Chickadeeva said...

Wow Lisa, I envy you. I know I don't like running so I can't ever enjoy the fun of your runners high and motivation!

I have been doing my leg lifts and sit ups tho!

I don't eat much meat at all - not for ethical or moral reasons, but just that I don't care for meat that much. I have started throwing in a bunch of eggs to boil and having them on occasion.

An egg is a self-contained, handy snack. The shell is biodegradable so if you drop a little its ok :-) Its one way I can help get the protein I need.

What are some of the strategies your nutritionist gave you? Anything you can share?

Lisa said...

Elicia:

I wrote out a whole list of things (that blogger just ate)(to get its protein?) but it basically comes down to the fact that she has got me thinking about "complete" proteins and those food combinations that can form to make them. Separately, the foods won't give you much protein at all but together they form a complete protein and will.

The classic example is rice and beans. But there's also pita bread and hummus, peanut butter and toast, frijoles and corn tortillas, and sweet potatoes and asparagus, among others.

The other thing she has me doing is looking to see where I can slip in some extra protein, such as cereal (special K now has their "protein plus" blend), snacks (the Kashi TLC bars will give you, depending on what flavor you choose, up to 10g of protein in each serving), and drinking milk.

And yes, I love eggs and consider them the closest thing to a perfect food that I know of, but I've been a little burned out on them for the past couple months. Hopefully that'll go away soon.

Kristina said...

Lisa, you are simply amazing!! I'm soooo proud of you and what you have accomplished. And you ran NINE miles the other day, wowzers! You've got me beat, girl. You've got me beat. But good for you. : )

Kristina said...

BTW, I did work out five days this last week, but my weight is the same. For the Jingle, Jingle, ya know.