Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Holiday checkin

Well, here I am. Trying, like the rest of us, to not only survive, but THRIVE over the holiday season.

(I gained 1.5 pounds the week after I got to my 80 lb. mini-goal, possibly due to water weight, but I've lost that again and am back down to 156.5.)

After we all posted our challenges, I felt pretty silly. Maintenance? That's not very exciting! But considering how much most people gain during these six or so weeks, I guess maintenance is pretty important.

Now for my strategy.

1. I'm wearing my, um, tightest pants. Yes, they fit. Just. I picked up a pair of size 10 (size 10!) Liz Claiborne (Liz Claiborne!) pants at the Goodwill about a month back for $4.50. ($4.50! Score!) They just barely fit, and I figure that if I wear them I'll be less likely to over eat.

2. I'm going to Cracker Barrel for lunch. Yes, I am. We're traveling to my MIL's in Georgia, and we can't leave until Thursday morning because I have to work Wednesday. We're stopping for lunch on the way. How is that a strategy, you ask? Simple. I don't have to cook, so I won't be snatching a bite here and there as I do. And I can't just get as much as I want on my plate, so my portions are (relatively) controlled. And, I won't have leftovers hanging around to tempt me.

That night when we get to GA, I can resist the leftovers that will be there, because of the superiority of my lunch meal.

(Oh, did I mention that my MIL, a naturally thin person, is not only very critical of people who are overweight, she also has not one stitch of healthy food around? And that I have to bring my own stash, down to a granola bar to take to breakfast because she eats at Popeye's every morning and there's not a healthy thing on the menu there?)

3. I'm going to be extra-special good on the other meals, so that I can enjoy smaller portions of the foods I only eat once a year when the time comes. Like yesterday, I had some Progresso Light soup for breakfast, because we had an office Thanksgiving lunch. I had a small portion of the hen and dressing for lunch, and loaded up on green beans, and bypassed the mac and cheese all together. And then for dinner, I had a cup of hot and sour soup, which is really better for you (minus the sodium) than you'd think.

I also have a strategy for on-the-road snacking - I pack a separate small cooler full of veggies. And we take individual bags of baked chips for when we want something salty or crunchy.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to make myself a cup of green tea.

3 comments:

Chickadeeva said...

You are all set for success!

If everyone paid a little more attention to your strategies, I think we'd all be thinner and healthier!

You have really given yourself some tools - I love the 'tight pants' idea!

Remember too that if you get tempted, go brush your teeth! Its always hard for me to eat something with freshly brushed teeth ;-)

Jennifer said...

What a good idea to have a plan like that. Gee, prior planning, what a concept! ;-) I really need to learn how to do that. Maybe we all should post a plan.

Melissa said...

You don't even know how many nights I get the munchies, and go brush my teeth so I won't eat more! I also carry minty sugar free gum in my purse (which I happen to be chewing now, in anticipation of lunch) for that very purpose.