Thursday, October 04, 2007

Rough Reentry - A Little Rant


Does anyone else have a hard time getting back into their groove after a vacation? Beside the fact that it was really nice going out to eat for every meal and having whatever titillated my little taste buds, and beside the fact that I returned to a house full of junk food because the first thing grandma did for the kiddies when Mike and I left was take them to the store to pick out whatever food they wanted, and beside the fact that I returned to a Northwest Fall in full swing complete with torrential downpour, I've caught a cold from my houseful of sickies.

Being sick is a major eating trigger for me. When I'm sick I feel that I deserve to eat whatever comfort food my brain can conjure. I can't blame the newest influx of junk food on my mom because last night when I went to the grocery store, both sick and hungry, you should have seen what I loaded into my cart. It was shameful, really: wasabi almonds, garlic and herb cheese with crackers, a bottle of wine, pizza rolls (for the kids, of course. Yeah, right.), frozen chimichangas (for the chiiiildren), and two cartons of ice cream (buy one get one free, what can ya do?)

Also, the antihistamines I'm taking have put me in a chemically induced state of depression. I'm behaving and feeling exactly how I felt at my most depressed, minus the crying jags and fits of rage. I'm staying in bed till nearly noon because I'm so tired and I can't figure out what to do with myself, and when I get up I stay in my pajamas all day and sit in front of the computer. The good news is that the six pounds I gained on vacation are gone. The bad news is that I suspect that is due to dehydration.

So, what do you all do to get back on track when either illness or vacation, or in my case, both, throws you off?

6 comments:

Mom said...

Oh you poor thing! I was sick for two weeks. It was hard. But I found that the antihistamines really killed my appetite and I strove to keep up my exercise on the treadmill in spite of the head cold. Actually I found that the workout really helped me breathe better and I think it shortened the entire duration of the cold.

~Jennifer said...

Yes, I really need to get back on the treadmill. I have a feeling that will turn things around for me. But like when I was depressed, I keep SAYING that, but I don't DO it. Today I will!

Chickadeeva said...

Just give yourself a success today to build on and maintain tomorrow....

I have often had to bout with depression, anxiety and overwhelmed-ness. I found that I was pretty sensitive to some chemicals and needed to make sure I was not turning a chemical reaction into a whole-full-on-life crisis!

Its easy when I'm tired to experience THE SNOWBALL EFFECT. It is when you start out feeling tired, or weak, then you start looking slowly at all the other things that aren't at the top of their game in my life, and then add that to the fatigue, and then add this, then that, then the other, and before you know it I have a snowball's chance in hell to snap out of it - gravity and impetus, you understand.

I am confident if you give yourself something to succeed on (like getting UP on that treadmill then telling us you did it) and you make sure you don't snowball...(or if you have, thaw out) you'll be doing better in no time.

~Jennifer said...

I did it. I got on the treadmill today, and it felt good. From there I did three loads of laundry and put all our trip pictures in an album. Tomorrow I'll get up before noon. :-)

Patty said...

YAY! So glad to hear you got moving on the treadmill. I'm almost as impressed by that as I am by the fact that you already have your vacation pictures in an album!

Don't forget to drink LOTS and eat well, esp. now that you have a cold.

~Jennifer said...

The pictures in the album is way out of character for me. I'm turning over a new leaf now that I've decided I'm not a scrapbooker. I've released the guilt I have from all the pictures waiting to be scrapbooked, and I'm putting pictures in brand new albums as soon as I print them so people can enjoy them instead of them sitting in a cupboard making me feel guilty.