Friday, October 19, 2007

I am not going to obsess

People say that tracking every bite that passes my lips is obsessive. Ok, let's look at some other scenarios:

No obsession about driving:

No one is going to tell me how to drive. I will drive when and where I want. I will go as fast or as slow as I want. I am not going to be looking in my mirrors or constantly checking my gauges. That's for people who are afraid of the road.

If someone gets in my way, they had better get out of it, because I am not stopping unless I feel like it. Damn the torpedoes! Full speed ahead! Where's my beer?

Resolution: Intervention by authorities, loss of license, jail time.

No obsession about money:

I will not count my money, I will not track how I spend it. I will enjoy my money freely and use it for my own pleasure. The hell with spending responsibly and paying bills. I am going to just forget about it and let things go their own natural course.

Resolution: Bankruptcy and possible homelessness.


No obsession about cleanliness:

I am so tired of reports about germs and disease! I simply don't have time to spend washing my hands after using the rest room. For that matter, wiping my butt is a waste of time and paper. I refuse to spend my limited hours showering and cleaning my house. If someone loves me, they will love me without all this cleaning and scrubbing. After all, everyone has to eat a peck of dirt in their lifetime, right?

Resolution: Illness, death, condemned house, standoffish of others on public transportation, possible mental health commitment.

No obsession about child welfare:

My kids are wonderful, but all of this attention to them gets a little old. They'll find something to eat in the house if they are hungry and for goodness sake, they can figure out how to work the porcelain throne if their diapers get full enough. I refuse to spend my time and resources caring for others. If I had to watch them 24/7, there would not be enough time in the day for anything else! As for school, who needs it?

Resolution: Intervention by school and child welfare authorities.

In the final analysis, my OCD record keeping regarding my food journaling doesn't sound that bad, now does it?






2 comments:

Melissa said...

I completely agree! There are many times that I stop myself from eating, because I know what I've had that day, and I know that I need to be done!

It also helps me keep track of my fruits/veggies, water, etc., something I never bothered with before!

Mom2the6Rs said...

Nicely said, Jan.

Obsess away!

Jules