Monday, October 29, 2007

Do you miss things?

I was working today, taking pictures in some of the shops in our town's downtown area for a "holiday gift guide" I'm working on. (It's connected with the holiday open house, which is in two weeks! Earlier every year, you know. But I digress.)

I went into one (very upscale) dress shop, and the owner stopped me. She's one of the ladies from my Weight Watchers group, and she was telling her employee (we were the only three in the shop) all about my weight loss.

I was in there for about half an hour, talking to them about making better food choices. Giving them examples of how to eat healthy when you're faced with challenges, like taking a 6-year-old to McDonald's. (And also making sure to eat enough, beacause this shop owner is only eating about half the food she needs to each day! She is, of course, not losing well, probably because her body thinks it's starving.)

The employee said, "I guess after two years of doing this, all that other food doesn't even bother you anymore. I bet you don't even want it."

I told her that yes, it does bother me, and I do want it, but that I've learned to indulge occasionally - that's the key word - and then move on with my life.

We wouldn't be human if we didn't crave at least some of those things that brought us pleasure at least some of the time. But if we're going to be healthy, we have to learn that we can't continue to eat that way every day (like I did before.)

I was reminded of this conversation just now, as I was watching a commercial for Burger King and their Whoppers. And I remembered how much I loved those giant burgers.

And then I remembered how their low price (99 cents at the time) and easy accessability contributed to my 30 lb. weight gain during my freshman year of college.

So, do I miss Whoppers? Of course! But now, if I crave that flame-broiled taste once in a while, I get a Whopper Junior. It sounds so "old fashioned," but moderation and portion control can go a long way towards a healthier lifestyle!

What, if anything do you miss? And what concessions have you made to satisfy those cravings? Because, seriously, I can't say I'm never going to eat a Burger King hamburger again. But I can make the choice to 1. do it only occassionally, and 2. find a way to get that taste in a more reasonable portion.

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

I think you said it well. I don't really miss things because I know I can have whatever I want occasionally. The trick is to have it, ENJOY it, and then move on, not make it a habit. Right now, I'm indulging in the "sick food" excuse. Honestly, none of it even tasted good and it made me feel sicker. I think I'm done eating junk when I'm sick.

Chickadeeva said...

I'd like to say I miss things, but the truth is, I indulged recently in my bad food - breakfast pastries....

I like muffins, coffee cake, all that lovely morning food that goes so well with my latte. Sometimes, I convince myself that its what I should go ahead and have, considering that I have the whole day to burn off my 'thick' choice. (Rationale: food eaten after 7pm will stick with you, food eaten close to 7am will disappear during the day)

Thankfully, Starbucks has stopped serving my favorite pastry because no one could say its name to order it.

Lisa said...

I don't really miss stuff, but I've learned not to put off cravings. If I'm really craving something, I will have a little as soon as feasible so it doesn't turn into a psychological obsession. But at the same time, my cravings don't run to things like fast food and I've discovered that the worse I eat, the worse I feel. That helps me to behave a lot better.