Friday, October 19, 2007

Has Anyone Tried This?

Have any of you out there used the Nike+iPod sensors? For those who don't know, it's a sensor that goes on your shoe that communicates with an iPod nano to give you data on your run like time, mileage, and - of particular interest to me - pace/speed and both display it and give you audible feedback if you choose. Plus it will have Lance Armstrong congratulate you for breaking your records or reaching new goals during your run. It looks pretty neat.

A fancy running computer will do the same things that the sensor says it will for about $200 (minus Lance) but I don't need a lot of the bells and whistles that would come with that. The Nike sensor is about $30, and I ordered a new 2nd-generation iPod nano on sale (since the 3rd gen came out last month) fairly cheaply (I needed one anyway though since my other ipod is a little too big to be good if I'm running anywhere other than a treadmill). I would like to not have to buy the running computer - and thus save my hard-earned pennies - but before I buy the sensor, if any of you have used one before I would like to know what you thought about it. I've read so many conflicting reviews that it would be nice to talk with someone who can actually answer questions.

5 comments:

Chickadeeva said...

I'm a big geek, but this is one technology I haven't gotten in on. I thought it would make a great gift for a runner though. Is it super expensive?

Kristina said...

I don't have one, and I really don't kow very much about them. Why don't you be our guinea pig Lisa. : )

Lisa said...

Elicia: I got the ipod new for about $70, although they had some on craigslist much cheaper. The sensor/receiver set is $30 so all told I should end up right around $100.

Kristina: Okay, you talked me into it. :)

Chickadeeva said...

You should totally test it for us!

Does it ONLY work with a special iPod or will any ipod nano work if you purchase the sensors? (I can totally google it myself too....)

Lisa said...

It will work with any ipod nano (any generation too) with the receiver - I just had to buy a nano since I have (and love) what they are now calling the "classic" video ipod.