Saturday, October 13, 2007


I have been reading blogs and it seems like something is going around. People are losing it when it comes to their determination to lose weight. I think that part of it is the build-up to Halloween, the biggest junk food holiday that there is, even worse than Easter. At least on the other eating holidays, once you get past the dinner and the leftovers, you are done. But with Halloween the idea is candy, hoarding and binging. Easter's bad too, but Halloween is worse because we adults are encouraged to participate on a world-wide level because this is not a religious holiday and offering treats does not offend other religions. It's perfectly acceptable, even encouraged to participate even at work.




For those of you who are in the same boat as I am, here are my strategies.

1. No buying candy for giving away until just prior to Halloween, I don't care if all that's left are ex-lax candies.

2. Do not -- I repeat -- DO NOT buy candy that you like. If you hate those peanut butter taffy things in the paper wrapper, that's what you want to get. Or if you hate mint, you get the idea. Buy what you hate. There will be leftovers. You don't want to have any qualms about ditching the excess. But don't buy it early! A lot of times we eat crap we don't even like just because it's in the house. Give it to a neighbor if you need to and then take it back just prior to the night.

3. You are not responsible for feeding the neighborhood. Buy a reasonable amount and if you run out, you run out. Forget it and move on.


4. Put the bowl on the ground and let the kids reach into it themselves. You do not have to hand it to them. Putting your hand in that bowl is just a heartbeat away from putting it in your mouth. Can someone else give out the candy?



5. Parties. If you go to a Halloween Party, stick something you can be sure of being able to safely eat in your purse or in your costume pocket. Who cares if you look different not eating the crap that they serve? You are getting healthy. Eat like a thin person. Think of your own collar bones first and how you love being able to feel your body without a big old padding of fat.

6. Do not skip meals. Skipping meals or not planning for being out when a meal is coming is temptation that you do not need. Bring something along or plan to have your regular meal before you head out.

So, that's my plan. I reject the idea that I will gain five pounds over this holiday. I will not. I will lose another on or two pounds each week up to Halloween and after. Count on it.

3 comments:

Chickadeeva said...

The buying candy you don't like is KEY!

My husband sweetly provided me with some donuts after a sugar craving gone out of control.

THEY WERE GROSS. They have raspberry filling and they are sitting there, lonely, nutrition-less and uneaten.

I was looking at them yesterday and I realized the box would be empty and in the fire if they were more palatable!

Mom said...

My brother in law writes POISON!! on boxes of donuts. I thought he was nuts, but that was before I started realizing that he was right.

Jennifer said...

The candy doesn't tempt me, but I'm also having a little trouble in the self control department this time of year. For me, I think it's transitioning from Summer into Fall. Fall is crazy busy for us with lots of birthdays and excitement nearly every week. It's hard to stay on track and find some balance.