Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Checking In

So I guess it's been a few weeks since I checked in. Well, I finished up my running class, summer ended here in Texas, and - in a fit of endorphin-induced mania - I signed up for the next set of classes to prepare me to run the YMCA Turkey Trot on Thanksgiving morning. In Dallas, the Trot is a big deal - nearly 30,000 people come out to run either the 3 mile or the 8 mile course and have been doing so for 40 years now. My family is coming up to have Thanksgiving here so that I can run the race that morning, so I'm pretty excited about the idea of getting to eat my turkey and buttermilk pie that afternoon essentially guilt-free.

So anyway. I signed up for the 3 mile prep class - which is about the level that my last round of classes started at - but the class people had other ideas. Long story short, I'm now training for the 8 mile race, which leads into the marathon relays, and it is kicking my butt. But I'm sticking with it.

I never thought I'd be able to say this 2 months ago when all this started, but I feel a little at loose ends on days that I don't run. While my training schedule has optional rest days built into it, I find myself sneaking in "quick, short runs" of about 3 miles in the evenings. 6 weeks ago I would have been totally spent after 3 miles, and now that's a short run. I'm pretty pleased.

I'm also a little scared about stepping on the scales. I've been running lots, lifting weights when I can talk myself into it (and have time to go to the Y), but all of this has made me very hungry over the past few weeks. I'm mostly doing what I can to eat properly, but between having to eat out all last week in connection with work and one spectacular lapse in restraint having to do with Indian Corn cupcakes, I want to wait 'till I work it off before I hop back on the scales.

In short, still stuck on my plateau. But running to see if I can get off it.

Love you guys,
Lisa

3 comments:

Kristina said...

Wow Lisa! You sound like a natural born runner. : ) Who'd of known that a couple of months ago that you would have written a post about how much that you hate running?! You silly girl.
And training for an eight miler, huh? That is VERY impressive. I'm proud of you!!

Chickadeeva said...

You knew exactly how much you would like it.

Sometimes I think we hesitate to do things that we know we'll love in case they aren't as awesome as we hope they are.

Sounds like your hope wasn't in vain!

Jennifer said...

You're doing great! 8 miles? Wow!

I know exactly what you mean about getting hungrier when your workout intensity increases. Your body knows it needs more fuel.