Monday, October 02, 2006

No goal = No progress

For the last three weeks I have seemed to be stuck at about 139. I will fluctuate a few ounces but I pretty much stay right around that weight. To be honest I have been a little relaxed about my program. I haven't been journaling much and I have been dipping into the "I want to eat that" pile of foods. At the same time I am getting up in the morning and putting on my jeans and thinking, " Dang I look good!" My size 8 jeans have also been helping the ego out a little bit too. So I found myself conflicted. On the one hand I feel and look pretty darn good, on the other hand I am 10 pounds away from my goal weight. Then it dawns on me. Time for a re-evaluation of the goals. When I started out on this journey I had a certain body shape in my mind as a goal. I applied a weight that I thought was in the ball park of that shape but I honestly don't know what my goal weight is. A year or so ago I spent some time with a personal trainer at a gym. He told me that if I dipped below 136 on the scales I would be giving up muscle instead of fat. This floored me as I am only 5'3" and to think that I could weigh 136 pounds and still look good was a little hard for me to believe. I do have a nice 1 to 1 1/2" layer of Fat on my tummy and hips. I want that gone- but I don't know how much that weighs. So.... long story short- It is hard to aim for something when you don't have a target. I can see how the last few weeks of me being stuck at 139 have been me not knowing where to go next. I have a knew goal to drop an additional 5 pounds of pure body FAT! I want to have my body fat measured by a pro and then start kicking up the workouts. I am not so focused on my goal weight I am focused on my next goal. So, I will once again re-evaluate when I hit 135. If I am at about 23% body fat by then, I could just call that good! It is nice to have a target once again. I can already feel the motivation building back up. I have had little goals all along the way and my last goal-to get into the 130's- came and I never set a new one! What a reminder that life is journey and not a destination! Ultimately, if I fit in a 6 or 8 jean, if I could wear a bikini (even though I won't), and if the majority of the dimples I have are on my face and not my belly or butt- then I will be happy!


P.S. I just wanted to send a huge cyber hug out to all of you that I met at the Fall Frolic. What a bunch of inspiring, beautiful, courageous, wise women you are. It is an honor to learn from you and right along with you, how to take care of ourselves and to meet our goals!

Jenny

3 comments:

Mom2the6Rs said...

Sounds like you are all about building that house of yours the right way. Good for you, babe. I love you and I am so proud of you. Way to refine the thinking and set new goals for yourself. Don't forget to journal.

Love, Jules

Chickadeeva said...

Its important with goal setting that you periodically revisit your motivation, guidelines and approach to the goal. Its a step a lot of people forget, and it makes some miserable. Being at a place where you feel safe enough to revisit your perspective is healthy, and you're clearly smart enough to figure it out!

Sometimes the body finds its own happy medium and we need to appreciate that too. I'm sure whatever you will do, you will do it with the goal of being the Best Jenny.

Besides, I was checking you out at the FF and I thought you looked perfect. Those dimples on your cheeks can't get any cuter or deeper with diet!

Tracy said...

your post cracked me up about the dimples. Hearing your determination is a wonderful motivation. Great job on all that you have accomlished!