Sunday, January 20, 2008

Update, A New Plan, and Pictures

I won't say I'm depressed. Instead I'll say that I recognize several signs and symptoms in myself indicating that my serotonin levels are quite low. I choose to say it that way because it reminds me that there are a lot of things I can do that will encourage serotonin production in my body and that I'm not a helpless victim because there are also a lot of things I'm doing to deplete serotonin and I can change that.

For example, after just three days of walking in a row there is a noticeable improvement in my mood and energy levels, but I've been really complacent when it comes to exercise lately. I've also noticed that when I remember to take my B vitamins I feel better, but I never take them. Eating nutrition dense foods also helps. I just have to make myself do these things.

Depression is such an insidious cycle. You don't do the things you need to do because you feel depressed and you feel depressed because you aren't doing the things you need to do to feel better. However, I need to remember that at any point I can break the cycle and reverse it.

Another thing that is depleting my serotonin is my weekends spent at the karaoke bar, well, not the time spent there so much as the alcohol consumed while I'm there. Turning forty seems to have tripped some party animal switch in me. Well, I've been doing some research, and I've discovered that while alcohol will give one a short term serotonin boost it actually depletes serotonin levels in the long run. That would explain why I tend to drink more during this time of year. I'm trying to medicate myself. AND that explains why I don't feel like doing anything on Monday morning, which can carry over to the whole week if I don't force myself to get moving.

For the last two weeks I've been afraid to get on the scale. I've been feeling fatter, whatever that feels like. My clothes seemed tighter and things seemed flabbier, but I weighed myself yesterday and my weight is the same. Whew. BUT I think perhaps some of the muscle I built training for the walk is being replaced by fat. I need to put a stop to that. So, I have a plan.

Tonight I am going to make a menu for myself planning all of my meals and snacks for the week. I am also committing to walking 30 minutes each day. I'm going to try not drinking when I go sing next weekend. (What a concept, eh?) I'll admit that will be hard for me, but it's the right thing for me to do for myself. I'm going to take my B vitamins with breakfast each day, and I'll report back to you all next Sunday and let you know how I did, and how I feel about it. Deal?

Here are a couple of pictures of me in my natural (party animal) habitat:


Oh hey, that's the shirt I bought when I was out shopping with some of you girls!


Shooting tequila after dancing to "Tequila Makes Her Clothes Fall Off."

7 comments:

Mom2the6Rs said...

I sure do love you, cutie pie. I, too, have replaced muscle with fat, but weigh close to the same. I need to get my "shape" back and not be as concerned with the scale because it does not tell the whole truth.

Jules

Lisa said...

Jenn, it's great that you recognize when things are headed downhill (I usually just barrel along until one day I just can't stand the idea of getting out of bed).

As for the not drinking, I am one of those people that has to have a glass in her hand at a party but I have long since known that it doesn't really matter what is in the glass (in fact, it's mostly better if it's nonalcoholic). Water with lime looks just like a G&T (so nobody gets the less-than-sober idea that I need a "real" drink) and not only keeps me hydrated, but satisfies the need to have a drink in hand. Anyway, that's just my little trick for drinking my way through a party when I'm not actually drinking. Hope it helps.

And your gameplan sounds like a winner. I can't wait to hear how it goes!

Lisa

Chickadeeva said...

You have all the right ideas - and I love that you aren't calling yourself 'depressed' but rather recognizing the biological functions.

We love you - think you're adorable and wish you the best!

Gen said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jennifer said...

Good idea, Lisa! I like the water with a bit of lime. We do keep the water flowing when we are there. Mac, the bartender always brings us a big pitcher of it and she keeps it filled up for us. Actually, my plan this weekend is to have a cranberry/tonic. That will satisfy my "This is a treat" need.

Thanks, Elicia!

Jennifer said...

sry, I'm having identity issues this morning. :-P

Kristina said...

Looking good Jen! : ) You party animal.
Good for you for making it a goal to walk for thirty minutes daily. Isn't it odd how we avoid the things that we KNOW will make us feel better? Human nature makes no sense half of the time.