Monday, January 14, 2008

Dress Rehearsal

In two weeks, I run my first half marathon. For everyone who knew me at any time before last August, that statement is stunning since you couldn't bribe me to run before then. Anyway, Saturday was my last long run before beginning the two week "taper" (to make sure your legs are fresh come race day) and we were supposed to run a little over 12 miles. Well, in the last half mile I got separated from the group (I had to stop to powder my nose) and once I was running again it occurred to me that they were already back at the start. So I took the long way back, adding another mile, to make it a full 13.1(6) miles - just to make sure I could do it come race day.

I haven't felt so good about accomplishing something in a long time.

I was tired and sore and soaked to the skin but I couldn't have told you that at the time. I made it home and the first thing I did was pick up the phone to tell anyone I could think of (who might care) that I had just run a half marathon. I was sore for the rest of the day and yesterday I was a little stiff, but now I'm convinced that in two weeks - when I run the real thing - that I'll be just fine.

And I have been on top of the world since Saturday.

Hope everyone has a great week,
Lisa

3 comments:

Kristina said...

I can't believe how far you've come in just a matter of months... I am absolutely amazed at your tenacity Lisa!! I'm so, so proud of you!!

Chickadeeva said...

Hee hee - when I read this it makes me feel smart. I just KNEW that you would LOVE running and you'd get a total high off the accomplishment!

Way to go Miss 1/2 marathon!!!!

Mom2the6Rs said...

Go Lisa, go!!! What a brave woman you are! Proud of you.

Jules