Friday, January 04, 2008

Ride Sally Ride!

Oh My Goodness!

My inner thighs are SO sore from riding yesterday morning, but I did! I am so glad!

Yesterday morning, I got up with the crowd in my house and put my riding clothes on straight away. I went over to the barn - which is only 3 minutes away - and grabbed a halter. I reached for a handful of carrots and walked down to the stall where Andi, a 20-something year old horse, hangs out in the evenings. She'd not yet been turned out for the day. When I approached her stall with the morning snack, she hadn't expected me and 1200 lbs of pure fear jumped up in the air!

Oops!! Sorry Andi!! I suppose I should have made more noise approaching!
She forgave me quickly when I showed her the carrots I had for her.

I groomed her, picked out her hooves and saddled her up. She hadn't been ridden in weeks so I needed to be careful with her. A former racehorse, this thoroughbred mix is what equestrians call 'sensitive' but I call 'prissy!' - She is very responsive to your leg and hands. I only walked and trotted her because she was getting sassy obeying and I didn't want to end up on the ground. :-)

This morning, as I was walking from the kitchen to my bedroom w/ my coffee, I realized my inner thighs HURT! A good hurt, of course, but I need to put some slippers on so I have some traction when I walk so I don't have to use that muscle so much :-)

Thanks for letting me ramble. I'm going snowboarding tomorrow morning with the family so that'll be my exercise. Then, back to horses next week as I strive to get more active this year.

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

I'd love to be a rider. I've been a beginner for my entire life. I only manage to get onto a horse about once every 5 years, but I really enjoy it.

Chickadeeva said...

I was always a beginner too (and I'm still a beginner, I think) but for the past three years I've been making up for lost time.

Its fun to try (and find out you love) new things. As Lisa proved with her running joy!