Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Opinions Requested

So, I would like your opinions.

I have been a member of the Y where I work out for almost 5 years, at a cost of $53 per month, and I have (ahem) not been the best at getting my money's worth. I love the ability to go swim indoors during the winter, but I rarely take advantage of it. I have to try every trick in the book to get myself there to work out and now that I'm running 4x per week outside, I hardly ever go to the Y anymore. And when I do, I have to force myself to go because I don't look forward to it like I used to.

So here is my question: would you keep the membership?

The running classes that I have been taking are not terribly expensive - around $80 for a 6-week class - and I intend to keep taking them through the next year. I can afford both, but as long as I am running, the chances of me actually getting to the Y are slim to none (since I work out with our group so frequently, I rationalize that I don't have to go to the gym) and I feel a little like I may be simply wasting resources by maintaining my Y membership. I can think of things to do with the $600 a year it costs me. On the other hand, my options are greater at the Y since it has facilities for racketball, swimming, yoga classes, and things other than running.

So what would you do? If I drop my membership, I will likely do it at the end of the year - a short couple of weeks away - so let me know.

Lisa

5 comments:

Chickadeeva said...

"I intend to keep taking them through the next year. I can afford both, but as long as I am running, the chances of me actually getting to the Y are slim to none."

Lisa, drop them.

If you find you aren't running as much as you thought you would, then you can take it up again :-)

Jennifer said...

I agree with Elicia. I've paid for Y memberships among others that went unused, and it just made me feel bad.

Kristina said...

You know how much that I love the Y, but in your circumstance Lisa, I think I would drop it. You obviously love to be active outdoors more. : )

Mom said...

I would take the money and buy one piece of great exercise equipment for my home. Then when it's paid off, maybe buy another. That's something I use every day, my treadmill is my best friend.

Lisa said...

That's a great idea, Jan, but I live in a tiny little space (that I love!) and there's just no room. I couldn't even fit a pilates ball because I would have no place to store it when it's not in use.

I adore the Y, but I think it may be time that we take a break from eachother. Good call, ladies.