Monday, December 17, 2007

Checking In

Hi Y'all!

Well, it's been awhile since I checked in and I've been totally derelict in the Jingle Jiggle Challenge - and for that I'm sorry. I've been eating good, healthy food but I've also been hitting the holiday indulgences (well, most of them) but I don't feel bad about it.

I am not much of a drinker and I never really have been. I have a friend, however, who really needed to quit. He and I talked, and argued, and negotiated, and finally he agreed that he needed to quit. As a show of solidarity, I quit too. That took out all of maybe a glass of wine each month, but I will take my calorie losses wherever I can take them. So this year, my cup of holiday cheer is most likely Diet Dr Pepper. Now if I can just start getting more water.

On the exercise front, however, I'm still doing well, it's keeping me busy, and is part of the reason I haven't had much time to post lately. I ran in the Whiterock Marathon relays a couple of weeks ago and after that, the running class I was taking through our area running shop was over. The next set of classes don't start until a couple weeks into January and that meant that for over 6 weeks I would be on my own as far as running was concerned and that was just a set up for failure. I'm kind of proud of myself for this, but since there were no formal classes during this time I started my own by getting a bunch of my classmates excited about the winter half marathons, coming up with a training schedule, organizing everyone by email, coordinating the logistics on our long runs, and generally serving as the team touchstone. Long story short, I am now running a half marathon class for nearly 20 people just to make sure that I will keep running over the holidays - and it is completely working. I feel like I can't skip any runs since I'm coordinating things and I've been sticking with the training schedule since I have other people around me who are abiding by it too.

So last weekend (at 5:30 a.m.) we ran over 10 miles around the lake and through several neighborhoods. If you had told me in August that I could have ever done that - much less enjoyed it - I would have thought you crazy. But there you have it: 10 miles, 1 hour and 45 minutes, 1342 calories burned, and an icepack later and I'm the fittest I may have ever been. And it feels great.

I hope everything is going well for the rest of you. Elicia, I love the newest addition to your family menagerie and Jennifer - keep with your walking, you total weight-losing rock star!

Lisa

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

Wow, Lisa! What a total inspiration you are. I can't believe that not only did you love the classes you took and accomplished so much, but that you are now running your own class! You are the woman!

Kristina said...

Lisa! I am sooooooooooooo impressed!!! The farthest I've ever gone is eight, and that took me about 85 minutes. BUT, that wasn't out doors, where it is harder. You're making me wanna run futher again. : ) The top of my foot gets irritated if I run too much, so I've been spliting it up between the elliptical and the treadmill.
But wow, you've really inspired me girlfriend. Way to take charge, and way to be faithful with you're running. You amqze me. : )

Chickadeeva said...

Hee Hee - Oh the power of inspiration!

Lisa said...

Kristina:

If you're rubbing a raw spot on your foot, have you tried some BodyGlide? In case you haven't used it before, it's an anti-chafing compound that comes in a stick like deodorant. I use it on my heels (among other places) when I'm worried about blisters and it does the trick.

If it's actually your foot that hurts instead of the skin, you might want to check your shoes. I know some people's feet hurt when the foam in their shoes begins to break down. After all, your shoes aren't supposed to last much longer than 300-400 miles.

And for the record, I had to work darned hard to catch up to your eight miles - it was a challenge!