Tuesday, April 10, 2007

This is a long note:Surgery went well so far

Hello everyone,

It has been a long time since I have blogged. I have had a rough time since I was brave enough to take that great step aerobics class at the Y. It was about 4 1/2 -5 weeks ago. I was fine that day. I felt so encouraged and healthy and fit. The next day I also felt ok. The third day I went down, meaning my back went out.

My husband had to take me to the ER and they said that I must have re-injured my back and pinched my sciatica nerves down the back of my legs. In 2002 I had a lumbar discectomy at the L4-5 level. Long story kind of short, I had a shot in the bum then went home. The next week I was back in the ER for the same thing, and the next week also.

Finally God sent me a spine doc in Everett. And of course he suggested an MRI which I had last Saturday (3/31). That showed a very narrow nerve root at my L4-L5 and L5- S1 lumbar spine. For those of you who do not know, that is at your tail bone. So today at exactly 1:34pm I was on the surgery table in Everett at the Trask Surgery Center. I must say that that was the WORST 7 MINUTES of my life. I have never ( even after a c-section) had that kind of horrible pain given to me.

I had a procedure called a Caudal Epidural at the L5-S1 level (my tailbone). This is a steroid injection put into my nerve root going down both legs. This is supposed to open my nerve paths to relieve pressure going down my legs. So far I can say that it has worked about 60%. The medicine that was given during the surgery has made me vomit with night sweats and extreme headaches. The doc said that this would happen and I should take caffiene of all things, to relieve the headaches.

So far so good. I hope that this is going to work with some physical therapy because if not the doc wants to fuse my spine, which is binding my last three discs together for good. This would cause me to move very limited. I am trying to advoid it. Sorry this is so long. Need less to say, I am still doing pretty well with my diet despite the problems, but exercise will come back shortly. Love you all and will update shorter versions later. Again, sorry so long. Kim

5 comments:

SueAnne said...

Oh Kim,
Be encouraged and lifted up. I am so sorry to hear of all your pain. It is frustrating when our bodies will not do what we want them to do. And recovery is difficult, feeling like you are starting from ground zero. But remember you don't have to be an olympic star athlete. Just do the movement your body will do:)
SueAnne

Kristina said...

Kimberly,
I'm so sorry that you've had to endure another back surgery! I've often asked Jules about you. I will pray for your recovery, and God's grace to cover you and your family.
Keep your head up, and don't push your body too soon.
Love,
Kristina

Chickadeeva said...

Hmmm. Why do things like this happen? Why do we have to endure them? HOw can we make them work for us?

I don't know, but I'm praying God will show YOU. I'm happy that you are getting through with a positive attitude.

I had a spinal tap once, and it really hurt - was it like that?

Mom2the6Rs said...

My sweet girl....I am so sorry you have to be in the pain you are in. It seems so totally unfair. You are so brave and so amazing. I don't know if I could endure what you have been through. I really long to see the hope back in your eyes. I know that day is ahead for you and I will be here for you if you need me.

Much love to you, sweet girl.
Jules

Amy Witt said...

Kimberly, I am praying for you and your recovery. Honey has been through back recovery at our house and I know the long road it is.

AMy