Friday, April 20, 2007

A little about me


First off, let me say I'm thrilled to be a part of this great community. Even after a year and a half on my weight loss journey, I still need the support of others!

My name is Melissa. I'm 30, have been married for nearly nine years to my best friend Jason, and we have one daughter, Anna Marie, who is five and a half. She'll start kindergarten this fall, a late start due to her October birthday.

I'm the news editor at a small community paper in north Mississippi. That means I have the "honor" of attending all sorts of government meetings, school events, and other community happenings. Then I have the "honor" of writing about them and putting together the front pages for two sections and an editorial page. I also write one or two feature stories per week, and a local editorial.

Phew!

I've been overweight for most of my life, compounded by my love of food and my aversion to exercise. My mom told me that I'd grow "up" as a teen and "thin out." She didn't know I'd stay 5'2" and round.

When I got the news editor job, I knew I'd be in public a lot more and needed to feel more confident about my appearace. I was also turning 29 then, and knew that if I didn't try to lose some weight now, I'd have a harder time (and more health problems) as time went on. I walked into our local Weight Watchers meeting weighing 237 pounds in August of 2005.

I now weigh (as of last night) 163.5, a loss of 73.4 pounds. It hasn't always been easy, but I figure the longer it takes me to lose it the better I'll do at keeping it off (right? That's the upside to this, isn't it?) I have about 30 pounds left, which will mean my weight loss will be somewhere in the 100 pound range.

I haven't lost any weight the past two weeks, which kind of has me down, but I know it's just a temporary plateau and I'll power through it.

Again, I thank Jules for inviting me into your community. Hopefully, I'll be able to give some help in return for all I've gotten! And I look forward to getting to know each of you better.

8 comments:

Lisa said...

Hi Melissa! I'm thrilled that you're here and I'm glad to have another satellite member of WAIWMIWLI. Your achievements so far are pretty incredible - I can't wait to see you reach your ultimate goal!

Look forward to getting to know you better,
Lisa

Kristina said...

Welcome Melissa! I'm so glad that you've joined us. : )
I too have lost 70 pounds, so I know how it feels. Pretty darn awesome. Good for you for making it this far, I know it hasn't been easy. I hope that we will be an encouragement to you as you step closer and closer to your goal.

Kristina

~Jennifer said...

Nice to meet you Melissa! You look great, and what an incredible job you've done so far! You're right, slow and steady is the way to go if you want to lose the weight for life.

Amy Witt said...

Welcome to another Southerner. You are in for wonderful support as you join us on your journey. Way to go on your goals.

Amy

Chickadeeva said...

Hi Melissa!

I'm so glad to see you here!
You've already lost so much, so you can look back and revel in your success when the road gets a little weary.

We certainly don't want to add to your list of things to do, but we'll be looking forward to your progress!

We're all in it together - thanks for doing life with all of us!

Steff said...

Hey Melissa! Congrats on this new posting gig. I hope that you continue to have wild success in your weight loss. I should hop on that train. lol

By the way...I love that butter sticks thing. What a great way to think about it. ;)

Mom2the6Rs said...

Melissa, I added your name to the weight loss tickers at the bottom. Feel free to go to tickerfactory.com and create one. If you need help with this, let me know.

Jules

SueAnne said...

Welcome Melissa!
You look great. And reading your post inspires me:) I too, am amoungst the vertically challenged at 5'2". Glad to have you aboard!
SueAnne