Monday, May 24, 2010

Mapping along the way...

I really like that lady up there at the top of our page...she looks so fit and strong and determined. I wanna be like that!

I started Prism today with Julie, writing down everything I eat and drink, counting calories. I thought it would be a drag but can I tell you a secret?

Shhhh....don't tell anyone, but....

I think it's kind of, well...kind of...

fun!

Am I weird? Maybe.

Am I liking it because by writing everything down I can 'get my control on'? Probably.

Whether you struggle with overeating, undereating or incorrect-eating, keeping a food journal is like creating a map for yourself.

Remember Lewis and Clark?

They had no idea where they were going. This was new territory and they were bound and determined to explore it.

The cool thing about them is that they created maps along the way, writing down the details as they went.

Well, I'm on an adventure into uncharted territory and this is exactly what keeping a food and exercise journal does for me.

Don't get me wrong, I've lost weight in the past...nearly fifty pounds after my second child and thirty after my third, but every time I gained it back.

Yet I have no idea why. Was it my hormones? My eating habits? Not exercising enough?

I will never know.

But now, I'm on a new path, blazing a new trail for myself. While I have my compass (Prism) and my companions (Julie and all of you) this adventure at this point in my life is completely new and scary and wonderful.

I am going to succeed. When I do, it will be in large measure due to the fact I am making my maps along the way. I will be able to look back and see the valleys and mountain ranges and rivers and lakes...not to mention the location of encampments of enemies who may want to sabotage my journey.

It also helps tremendously that my trail-mates are easily accessible and ready with encouragement and transparency through their own journeys.

Thanks to all of you who have shared. I hope you continue to post on a regular basis, even if it's just to say you're checking in.

If you read this blog or were on it previously and have mixed feelings about joining in, I understand! But community is the key to success...we need to hear your story as much as you need to tell it.

We can do this!







2 comments:

Mom2the6Rs said...

You are so flippin smart! I am proud of you! Map it, Loomis! (sounds like Lewis...)

Amy Witt said...

Way to go Kimberly. You can do it and you are making a great start.