Friday, December 19, 2008

Post-Race Report (and a Prayer Request)

Hi gang!

Well, I'm no longer sore after Sunday's marathon, but I have a bit of a confession: I think that I am becoming a marathon addict.

Sunday's race was pretty miserable - hot, humid, and with a 30-40 mph headwind (!!!) which made running uber-hard. People were crashing* right and left, and many people posted their slowest times ever in a race because of the conditions. I added 15 minutes onto my San Antonio time, but only because I said "to heck with this" and walked (albeit quickly) the last few miles. Afterward, it hurt to move. But by Monday, I was planning for the next one. Isn't this how addicts get started?

I guess I'm just hooked on that endorphin high! And I highly recommend it!

Lisa

* By crashing, I mean running out of energy and giving up. I, only the other hand, crashed literally at mile 10 - when I tripped, fell, skinned my knees and palms and bruised the #$*@ out of myself. I rolled through the fall though, got right back up, and kept running which prompted someone to look at me and say approvingly "Tough girl!" - darned straight! An aid station several miles later patched me up, though, and I finished despite my battle wounds!

** On a serious note, one runner - a woman only a year older than me and from my hometown - died at mile 21. A quick prayer for her family, which will be without her this Christmas, would be appreciated I'm sure.

1 comment:

Chickadeeva said...

The "Tough Girl" compliment would have been enough of a reward for me - in my head - I'd have already finished the race! YOU ROCK!

KICK BUTT!

Women who roar sound like YOU.

(That's awful about the death during the run. What a horrible Christmas they'll have.)