Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Green River Gorge


Yesterday, I had the awesome privilege of riding a gaited horse down to the Green River and back.

A gaited horse has a special step that allows them to cover a lot of ground while providing a smooth ride for the mount. It doesn't jostle and bump and shake, it smoothly and deftly advances and you're surprised at how little you're bejumbled!

We rode for five hours roughly, and while my back is sore a bit, my body seems to be able to handle the ride.

Plus, check out how cute I am in my tight breeches? That extra 10 lbs has made a big difference! Three cheers for being able to enjoy life! The weather was sunny and clear, and the wilderness we traveled was beautiful. I'll have to look at a map to see where we rode, exactly.

What are you doing to push yourself?

3 comments:

Lisa said...

Oooh! I had a saddlebred once who was the smoothest thing under saddle leather so I know what you mean! Your ride sounds like it was fun!

As for how I'm pushing myself, it's - as you could probably guess - mileage. I've been running about 35 miles per week with increasing long runs heading toward this fall's marathon. The scales don't show any movement, but my body is definitely slimming and toning - or as my morning running buddy says, "You're looking much more aerodynamic." Whatever - I'll take it!

(P.S. Elicia - been watching any of the Olympic equestrian events?)

Chickadeeva said...

You are a true powerhouse, Lisa. I was telling a friend of mine how you went from asking us about if you should take the running class to turning into a marathon training amazon-kick-buttifyer and he was impressed. So am I!

I haven't watched much of the equestrian events (busy) but its pretty awesome what they get those animals to do. I got to meet Amy Tryon (before her tragedy in Germany) and was sad she didn't do well this year.

Kristina said...

Girlfriend, you KNOW that you are lookin' fine in them there breeches!!!
We need to get together. I had a lot of fun with you at the 5th of July get together. : )